Heavy duty hook clamp for heavy lantern

RoyJ

:) Hi All, I need some guidance on what type of heavy duty hook clamp I need for a Reich+Vogal 24v beamlight.I am rather worried to use a standard hook clamp which has no stated tolerances.The lantern is understandadly heavy due to the transformer,any help please? Regards Roy

Generally, newer hook clamps tend to have around a 50kg SWL, stamped onto the clamp. But a heavy-duty hook clamp would be fine, as would a half-coupler, trigger clamp, etc...

As long as you are hanging it on scaff or truss, obviously. For gas barrel, or the possibility of gas barrel you will need a bigger clamp.

http://www.doughty-engineering.co.uk/cgi-b...showprod_T20100 for a 40kg SWL standard hook clamp

http://www.doughty-engineering.co.uk/cgi-b...showprod_T57000 for a 750kg SWL half coupler

http://www.doughty-engineering.co.uk/cgi-b...showprod_T58205 for a 250kg SWL trigger clamp

http://www.doughty-engineering.co.uk/cgi-b...showprod_T58505 for a 100kg SWL oversized trigger clamp

An R&V Beamlight is only about 15kg - only just more than a Cantata profile. A regular (new, rated) hookclamp would work fine.

It feels a lot heavier to me,maybe its me getting old! Thanks all for your help,I will look for a half coupler or some of the other references.The really annoying thing is, I had two and gave them away with lanterns,we didn't need due to being 2k.Hay hoo! Thanks again Guys and Girl,much appreciated.Now all I need is to get a lamp for it and we'll be set.

An R&V Beamlight is only about 15kg - only just more than a Cantata profile. A regular (new, rated) hookclamp would work fine.

I recall them being heavier. Don't they sometimes have a heavy transformer inside them? Maybe its just older models?

Edit: Ah. Just re-read the original post which does mention the transformer

Roy, I assume that, as you didn't mention it, you are using it in a fixed position, not as a followspot.

Incidentally, we are both in Derby. How come we have never met?

Not a fan of half-couplers for heavy lanterns - much prefer the newer trigger clamps with proper ratings jonathanhill linked to above.. they're easier to hang.

For this particular lantern though, a regular hookclamp should be suitable :)

I recall them being heavier. Don't they sometimes have a heavy transformer inside them? Maybe its just older models?

Roy, I assume that, as you didn't mention it, you are using it in a fixed position, not as a followspot.

Hi there,sorry I forgot to mention its being used in a fixed position,with the odd possibility of being used as a follow.As for why we haven't met,I really dont know.I've been doing stage lighting for over 25 years,I am currently with trade secrets theatre co and head up the Derby historical theatre lantern collection.P

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Hi there, sorry I didn't mention that the lantern will be mainly used in a fixed position,with the odd possility of using it as a follow.It has a big transformer in it.As for why we haven't met,truthfully I dont know.I have been envolved in stage lighting for over 25 years,I am currently with Trade secrets theatre company as their technical manager and also head up the Derby historical theatre lantern collection, a project in its infancy.Perhaps we should arrange a meet up,its always good to meet fellow technicians in my home city.Thanks to all for the advice,and taken the time yo respond to the thread.Merry christmas to all.

With all the Doughty suggestions, it would seem sensible to also provide a link to the good ol' straightforward heavy duty hook clamp -

http://www.doughty-engineering.co.uk/cgi-b...showprod_T20400

That'd be my personal preference over a half-coupler for hanging the weight in the air, as with hanging under the bar you'd have to do the half-coupler up whilst taking the weight of the lantern.

not absolutely relevant perhaps, but an interesting aside....

found this in the Strand archive timeline:

• Strand launch the Hook Clamp and free British theatre from the tyranny of the traditional 2-bolt, 2 nut L Clamp.
  • Strand Electric's office in Toronto, Canada opens.
  • The Century Izenour 10 Scene preset is introduced.

which means the hook clamp is only slightly older than me...

just wondering who took out the patent?

Archived