Having trouble..

TylerMae

Hi.

This is my first post, (so be gentle!)

I recently bought a fairly old SoundLab 4-Channel analogue strobe controller, I have audio going into the audio input, and a 1500w strobe coming out of channel 1 and into the input on the strobe. However, there is no light emitting from the strobe.

The input cable is a stereo out from a laptop converted from a small jack to a 1/4" mono jack. And the chaining from the channel out to the input on the strobe is a 1/4" mono jack to 1/4" mono jack.

Am I missing something?!

text on back reads:

AUDIO INPUT SPEAKER LEVEL 2.5V - 100V RMS 1/4" MONO JACK

OUTPUTS:

1/4" MONO JACK DC10V POSITIVE TRIGGER OUTPUT

ONE CHANNEL CAN BE PARREL SIX STROBE LIGHT

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :P

-Phil

Paul's right, we used to have one of these and it needs to be plugged into the back of a full-range PA speaker running loud. We used to run it off its own amp channel, plugged into the link-out socket on a speaker which had to be kept face down on the floor, it had to be so loud.

There's no way a laptop output will trigger it.

Thanks guys, I got it running through my amp at home, you're right it has to be cranked. And for some reason the jack-in to the strobe (or from the controller) only works if put in EXACTLY the right place otherwise it either doesn't trigger, or only triggers the setting on the strobe. So not sure if the jack outs are damaged from the controller ?

Any new analogue controllers (preferably with audio-in) that would do the same job, ideally for under £60??

been looking at this eBay strobe controller . But wondered how accurately the strobes would follow the bass/kick with only a Mic to pick up sound?

I have found that stand alone strobe controllers don't work the way most people expect them to.

Most people will think that every time the mic 'hears' a beat then it will flash the strobe once. most of the time when using that Acme one it give me about half a second of extreme strobeing, and barely follows the beat at all, and there is no way to adjust the sensitivity of the mic.

Never ever seen the soundlab one your talking about let alone used it. so it seems that it might work in a different and more reliable way than the Acme one does.

If the audio input required is substancial I /e speaker level,

instead of line level, you can boost it by feeding it into a

step up transformer,

you might have to experiment a little to find the right tranny,

Any type of mains transformer should work,

if you connect it in reverse.

Hi.

This is my first post, (so be gentle!)

I recently bought a fairly old SoundLab 4-Channel analogue strobe controller, I have audio going into the audio input, and a 1500w strobe coming out of channel 1 and into the input on the strobe. However, there is no light emitting from the strobe.

The input cable is a stereo out from a laptop converted from a small jack to a 1/4" mono jack. And the chaining from the channel out to the input on the strobe is a 1/4" mono jack to 1/4" mono jack.

Am I missing something?!

text on back reads:

AUDIO INPUT SPEAKER LEVEL 2.5V - 100V RMS 1/4" MONO JACK

OUTPUTS:

1/4" MONO JACK DC10V POSITIVE TRIGGER OUTPUT

ONE CHANNEL CAN BE PARREL SIX STROBE LIGHT

Any help would be greatly appreciated. <_<

-Phil

Archived