DMX wheel

crazyshaun

Yes.

However, you haven't defined the problem completely. If you want continuous rotation at variable speed, all you need is a DMX to PWM converter with a DC motor and gearbox. But if what you really want is a positioning system, then you need a DMX to servo decoder and a simple servo motor with 270 degree rotation.

Yes.

However, you haven't defined the problem completely. If you want continuous rotation at variable speed, all you need is a DMX to PWM converter with a DC motor and gearbox. But if what you really want is a positioning system, then you need a DMX to servo decoder and a simple servo motor with 270 degree rotation.

Single rotation is what I'm looking for but was wanting more 360 rotation. would the DMX servo work with a 360 degree motor?

Single rotation is what I'm looking for but was wanting more 360 rotation. would the DMX servo work with a 360 degree motor?

The maximum rotation on most servos is the 270 degree limit of the feedback pot. However if you modify one with a multi-turn pot you could achieve your aim.

Boatman has the answer - but if you only need to drive a small load with the motor use a 9 - 12v motor with the current-amplified output direct from a demux. I used a simple emitter follower cct to drive a clock to indicate a rapid passage of time (Cinderella's clock) :P

If you gear the output of a servo motor, so for a 270 degree rotation of the motor shaft, the output shaft turns 360 (or more) then you should be onto a winner. Your positioning resolution won't be quite as accurate as you gear up, but other than that I can't see a problem, and all the complicated stuff remains built into an off the shelf motor.

Edit, SPAG

The maximum rotation on most servos is the 270 degree limit of the feedback pot. However if you modify one with a multi-turn pot you could achieve your aim.

When I was looking at making release devices with servos, I also found that you could get 'Sail winch servos', for the sails on model boats - these have three-six full rotations within the servo control range and could be used to position a wheel, allowing a couple of rotations in each direction - would make a decent DMX-controlled steering wheel for example.

Still not clear though whether you are looking for the DMX value to relate to the position of the wheel, or the speed the wheel turns continuously - is the final effect a wheel as in a ship's wheel, or a wheel as in a catherine wheel?

Depending on the application you could use the old DHA animation units and attach your item to the centre spindle. If it is one direction the op is looking for then you can use the DMX version that they made - however, if there becomes a change of plan and the director wants to have rotation in both directions then the animation controller would be the best answer. Forward and reverse at variable speeds.

Just a thought...

David.

Not sure if you want something with a bit more beef to it, But I'm curious as to why you want this and what effect you are hoping to achieve. Is it to go in front of a lantern, or are you basically trying to build a rigged 'Wheel of Fortune' type thing?

Looking at your initial post, the DHA Animation Disk is what I think you are after.

Cheers

Smiffy

Sorry - Just seen wingwalkers post. Beat me to it :D

Archived