Dog box or not.

James

I'm just buying a DDX3216 at the moment.

I'm ordering a flightcase as well.

I'm very tempted to ask for a small dog house (puppy house?) but suspect this might be a bit of overkill.

Then again, do I realy care what other people think if it will be useful.

Hmmm.

Anyway - What do other people think?

James

So your question is: should you order a kennel for your dog made like a flightcase? Or did I misunderstand?

:o I think by doghouse he means the extra space in the back of the flightcase for cables.

Yes I personally think a dog house would be useful to keep any looms etc in if your doing any ongoing jobs. Makes sense to me! Which company is making it for you?

Josh

Two reasons for this line of thinking,

One is that I am doing a fair bit of conference work and theatre work where I'm sited in the auditorium and I want it to look tidy.

Another is that I want to speed up setup times, I use harting at the moment for my FOH rack and am currently trying to decide between harting for FOH (that would do 24+8 well) or a row of 4 37 pin socapex. with 8 core cable.

The problems are going to be how to fit in the topside connectors and the 2U of ADA8000's (Right angle connectors I think....)

James

go for the dog box with hartings - the weak link is always the multi-XLR area, so protection is handy - but for me, the real necessity for the dox box is to have somewhere to put things - extra cd players, the odd extra bit of non-cased rack gear etc.

OK, Answers on a postcard.

I am buying this desk to expand my range of available desks, and for the automation it offers for theatre gigs.

I do not expect to use it for bigger live gigs where I will retain my LX7.

For Musicals I will use it in tandem with the LX7, The DDX will do radio mic mutes, delays, and dynamic SFX routing. The LX7 will submix the orchestra.

For most other gigs I will either have the DDX or the LX7 with or without the Spirit monitor 24:8

I will be investing in (probably) 50m of 32 way multi, hartings at each end. This will probably be run in a 24+8 arrangement,

I would like to fit 2x 1U ADA8000's in the case with the DDX3216 so that all I do is plug up the harting and play. But I would also like the case to be similar to that with the LX7 in so they are easier to operate next to each other and they look tidy FOH for musicals where they will be used simultaneously.

Any ideas on squeezing them in together, underneath, behind, etc.

It's a shame because the DDX is 163mm high and the LX7 164.2 so they would sit together fairly well. and the DDX is 572mm deep compared to 503.1 so I don't really want to go too much deeper.

Hmm I could of course wait and buy a second 3216 instead of two ADA8000's - that would work!

James

Reading through this last posting and I could just imagine all the sparks, chips, flies, props and SMs nodding along with a polite smile and that glazed look in their eyes while thinking -

"I'm sorry, I don't speak cryptography"

I know, I know I'm :o

We now return you to your regular dog-house postings ...

I'll second the opinion for having space to store extra items of kit. That includes things like spare CDRs, Sharpies, tape, documentation, Lit-Lites, and so forth

What are you planning to put in the option slots? How often do you need the multi-tracking facilities? That should help with the decisions.

Not that I support buying Behringer in any case. Heard a few too many stories about them allegedly 'acquiring' similiar technology to other companies for my comfort

Not that I'm implying anything but compare the mixer at this link to the one here

Not that I'm implying anything but compare the mixer at this link to the one here

Those two items have nothing in common other than they are rackmounting, silver and digital.

The software and options on the DDX is vastly more capable than the 01v.

I use most small digital desks regularly (01v, 01, 01v96, 03d + DDX) and there are no signs of any behringer features being ripped off of another desk in this case.

Dog box definatly cool idea, useful to find all those connections away, with re: to the ada's, I put mine in a flightcase and have 5m fibres to connect them, so the ada's can hide under the desk or on top of the foh rack etc...

I wanted them in one box so I could loom up with a single harting, desk and breakout. Of course doing this might be a problem with needing to get access to the gain pots..

James

The physical appearance of the two desks (and not the newer version of the 01v) was my point in this case.

I'll readily admit that I am not current in keeping up with Behringer products but there are a number of people whose opinion I respect who are less than complimentary about the company.

The archives of the Theatre-Sound List have more information, and I'll stop hi-jacking this thread. :o

If you do want the ADA8000 with the DDX then you could have them in a compartment next to the desk so you can still reach the gains.

It might make sense to put the ADAs into their own rack, complete with patch bay or harting output, or integrate them into an existing rack.

I was wondering about having a larger case on wheels that locks down and gives you an instant stand so you just open it, plug in and power up but you mention about using it in auditoriums so I doubt the practicalities of that idea.

Sorry for the late reply.

One thing that separates the men from the boys (or the pros from the amateurs) in PA land is what is known as "packaging".

That is how you arrange your gear for efficient use, ease of rigging, reliability, and also cosmetics.

At the very least, you need some space at the back of your mixer flightcase to put multipin connectors. In many cases enclosing this space with a doghouse is also a good idea.

I'd say go for it!

Archived