XLR to 3.5mm wiring

Humey

I would never advise that 3.5mm mini jack cables be terminated to XLR's for the very reasons already mentioned (the possibility of Phantom power damage).

It is not good enough to say that Phantom power is never used - accidents will happen! Buttons are there to be pressed......

The output signal from a lap top computer is quite healthy - so ALWAYS use jack socket line inputs on the mixer. You might find that you get a noise free connection, but a good quality isolating transformer is always a good idea - and will be absolutely transparent to the music signal.

Thanks for the responses guys. My desk has global phantom power so I cant risk it. If I was to present the problem to the client could you advise me on what solutions there are? DI box? Isolating transformer?

All of the responses you've already had have advised the ideal solution, which is a DI box. For the cheapest option, two of these and one of these, will solve the problem adequately for under £40 including VAT.

Archived