Mic storage

dominicgross

hey guys,

I started working at a dubbing studio on Monday, we have 7 dubbing suits, each with it's own booth - big enough to record upto 5 voice overs.

We have a selection of mikes: but each booth has 3 Neumann M149, all of these are permently mounted and connected to there power supplies.

I've heard of this being done before: but have no idea why it could be of anyuse: let alone how it can be good for the valve or the capsule???

Can anyone shed some light?

cheers

the 149's are very similar to the old U47 and M49. The tonal quality changes as the valve warms up. Many studios would power up in the morning, and be confident of quality performance in an hour or two. As studio bookings built up, it became normal to simply leave them on, ready for use straight away. To my ears, they sound 'warmer' once they have been on a while - this applies to all valve microphones I've used.

security wise - doesn't it depend on how easy it is to get into the building? If it'sopen access, screwing everything down, locks and padlocks make sense - but if you live in a swipe card or security protected environment it's probably not necessary until something happens.

You need a swipe card and a code to get into the actuall building: shared with 3 companys, then there is a day code for our section of the building.

At night, our section of the building is locked down like a fort! huge metal doors and alarms.

Saying this, last week, we did discover 2 'homeless' people sleeping in the basement... :stagecrew:

Archived