How to De-Memorise a cable

Light Console

Hi all,

My kit has just arrived from Germany, and the audio cables I ordered came tightly packaged, in an oval shape. On opening the packets I tried to coil as normal cables, but they just formed squares or triangles. :) How do I get rid of this memory and get them to form circles?

Cheers.

How do I get rid of this memory and get them to form circles?

I find that leaving them in the sun for a day and then coiling them works, and at the end of the day either putting the (velcro) cable tie on, or using electrical tape on the top, bottom, left and right of the cable to encourage it to stay the circular shape. Leave overnight (possibly in airing cupboard) and in the morning, remove tape/tie and see how the cable is. If neccesary, repeat process.

HTH

David

Cheers guys.

I had them in the airing cupboard last night and have just popped some scaff up in the loft. I will then dangle cables down the stairs (as loft hatch next to banisters) to the ground. The cables are 10 metres long, which means they are doubled over and are just touching the ground floor of the house! I will then dangle some weight on them. I am expecting a drum for the multicore soon, so I will use that if this fails.

Archived