Creating a snow effect with lighting...

Cobalt

Any thoughts on using a rotating drum, with random mirror tiles, in addition to a mirror ball?

I know the rotating drum will give snow flakes falling straight down but combined with those from a mirror ball might be effective.

My thinking is it is easy to get various diameter drums, eg card board tube of different diameters, and stick tiles to them.

Cheers

Gerry

That sound like a great idea for future. But how would you light it ? a wide pro shuttered ? .. or am I missing something?

Any thoughts on using a rotating drum, with random mirror tiles, in addition to a mirror ball?

Cheers

Gerry

That sound like a great idea for future. But how would you light it ? a wide pro shuttered ? .. or am I missing something?

Probably more than one pinspot, each from a different angle.

Cheers

Gerry

Thanks for all the suggestions guys - We're going to look into some sort of effect with mirrorball(s) to start off with and see what that's like as I'd imagine that's going to be the most cost effective method. Not sure how good it will look, I'm hoping that the "flakes" being split amongst several different surfaces on the stage will look quite effective, but the only way of knowing is to get one, rig it up and have a look I suppose. There's much worse things to be doing than playing with gadgets!

Thanks for the input so far guys, any other suggestions feel free to make them. I will investigate the costs of renting effects units as it might not work out being all that different, particularly as we've got a bit of DIY, trial and error to do with our first option, but we'll wait and see.

Thanks again, you've been most helpful.

Cheers,

John

If going down the mirror ball route make sure the motor rotates in the same direction every time its powered up,you dont want your snow going up

Absolutley, most small cheap motors used to drive mirror balls have a random direction of rotation, each time started.

Therefore the mirror ball must be controlled independantly of the pin spots or other light sources.

Turn on the mirror ball, and check for correct rotation before turning on the lamps.

Archived