Plays with lots of props

Hi,

I'm going to be teaching an introductory SM course and want to get the students looking at writing up props lists. Just wondering if anyone can suggest any good plays for this? I normally resort to Oscar Wilde, as his plays are fairly prop heavy, but I fancy a change!

Cheers! :)

Welcome to the blue room.

Anything by Coward or Alan Ayckbourn tend to be prop heavy.

You could look at The Voysey Inheritance by H Granville Barker as I know when I worked on it it drove the SMs mad trying to work out what was on the table as you come in at the end of a meal so you can work out who has what glass, is it full or empty etc.

We are doing confusions in december, it has a horribly massive amount, both "live" props of food and fake stuff. Always a good discussion about what foods we can have or not have, and how we can have a 90%fake plate and a bit of real to eat.

Absurd Person Singular (AA play; just doing it this weekend...three kitchens...so three lots of very similar stuff...our Director decided he would do props...drives him potty...and us...

We installed "real" plumbing with header tank and drain into a bucket. The Director had wanted a hose off the village hall kitchen taps...until we explained that IF the hose connections came adrift a jet of water flying around on stage would not be the safest of practices, given the proximity of dimmers and lanterns.

So if you want your aspiring SMs to jump in at the deepend go for APS. See how many suss out refilling the header tank in the scene change...

Archived