Personal property stolen on site.

kurzweil_dude

Last night I was working on site for an events derig. When I arrived the event had finished, all delegates and public had gone and it was only venue staff and events staff left working. Me and another member of crew placed our jackets and my backpack to the side of the room near some of our clients equipment to start work. By the end of the call it had been established that both jackets and my bag had gone. Having informed the client, we went to inform the venue to see if cleaners etc had moved them to reception etc. Nothing there. They took details of the items and personal details.

Is there anything that can be done about this situation? Inside my bag was a number of personal items (thankfully had removed most items of value/use in the afternoon) but having to replace the bag, jacket and leatherman will cost me in excess of £160 - which as measly crew - I cant afford.

This is the second time working for this AV client a personal item of mine has gone missing. My Crewing agent was less than useful last time, and I have a feeling it will be a repeat.

This is the second time working for this AV client a personal item of mine has gone missing. My Crewing agent was less than useful last time, and I have a feeling it will be a repeat.

Once was unfortunate, twice was simply careless. Mind you - have you got home insurance? My own covers me for some degree of personal loss when outside of the home - as in watches, mobile phone, glasses - that kind of thing?

I lost personal belongings once in a very similar situation to yours. I later found my belongings once we had unpacked all of the equipment from the lorry. Somebody had been helpful and just thrown it inside a flight case and wheeled it onto the truck.

Just keep asking round. Somebody will know where it is or has been put.

Once was unfortunate, twice was simply careless.

Yes, silly me for assuming all technicians and events staff are trustworthy people.

With all public off site, and the location of the venue not being city central and of a remote location where your not likely to get a chav sticking his head round the door to see what he can swipe, and the addition of security staff, I naively presumed our jackets would be safe near kit.

Next time ill remember a chain and padlock my jacket to the bike racks outside just to be safe. ;)

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Just keep asking round. Somebody will know where it is or has been put.

With any luck :)

and the addition of security staff

There speaks a man who has never seen security guys rummaging through personal possessions (without the owners knowledge)... You'd be amazed how many cctv tapes go missing after they've been requested.

Twice bitten, thrice shy?

I know it's horrible, but the fact is that things will walk. Insurance companies insist on forced entry, simply because the opportunist thief is exactly that. Grab and run.

Somebody unbolted a reverb from a disused rack sometime in the past three months, and I only noticed when packing away. That's somebody with a leatherman I'd guess. An intercom pack and DT108 headset, vanished - probably scooped up and chucked into a trunk by mistake. Or a smoke machine left in the corner, or a radio mic accidentally left on the DSMs desk for a week!

It's horrible, it's unsettling, and sadly - a fact of life!

Theres not much you can do besides asking around and hoping it turns up.

By the sounds of things you have just left your bag alongside/ontop some of the companys flight cases and gone off to do your work. Your basically just inviting any of the other staff working there to have a nosy through your stuff.

I Useually bring with myself a small Flightcase (size and shape of a Breifcase) which is lockable by padlock and I put my vals and anything thats easy to lose or to walk off with in thier, and stensild on the side of the case is my name and number, so it looks sus when some random is walking around with my case. If I have to leave my case unnattended I wont leave it in te open ill useually chuck it in a spare packer and put the packer aside.

Amen to that. I swear there is a universal supply of XLR that just keeps getting rotated around venues. I can remember someone telling me he "lost" a load of XLR marked up with his companies name on it (with various other identifying features haha) then 3 years later it turns up at the same venue he lost it at, when a hire company left it behind!

Its not just XLR's its everything thats small and there's tonnes of e.g. Gel Frames, Power leads, Powerboards, External PSU's for consoles. Ive even almost once 'rotated' a section of truss, Took it off the trailer taking it back to place I had hired it from and only after I had put it down on the ground I realized that it was one of my sections and thiers was still in the trailer! :D

I love it when you wind up with "left over" stuff after the out from a company across the country that had nothing to do with the show. We actually also had a local hire co accidentally swap a mover with a company several states away they'd never worked with (I heard it involved two different tours).

Archived