Magic Q PC Hardware

smalljoshua

Just a quicky really.

I am going to be buying a Mini Wing soon and have been looking at hardware to run it on.

I'm curious to know what others are running MagicQ PC on in terms of OS, Processor Model/Speed and Ram.

I would also be interested in knowing the most intensive shows that you have run using that hardware. E.G. number of universes/fixtures any pixel mapping/media serving from within the software.

Many Thanks

Josh

Hi Josh,

I've got 2 PC's I use Magic Q on.

The first is my main desktop PC which I just use whilst running WYG - so nothing too intensive.

It's got Windows 7 64 Bit, Intel Q6600 Quad Core CPU (at 2.6GHz), 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 9800GTX+ OC GFX Card and various other bells and whistles.

The other PC, which is the one I use for shows, has a Pentium 4 HT (clocked at 2.8GHz I think it is), 1GB DDR 400 RAM, onboard 128MB GFX card and a not too huge HDD. Windows XP Pro (32 bit). Most intensive show had 6 movers, some LED PARs and about 48 channels of dimming - so nothing huge.

How much are you looking at spending?

Definitely make sure to get a touch screen as a priority.

I've already got a machine that I'm probably going to put it on, it's a Intel Atom 1.6Ghz with 2Gig Ram, XP home and a 22 inch multitouch monitor.

My biggest concern is that this machine won't have enough "grunt" to allow me to do some basic pixel mapping.

I'm still interested in others' experiences.

Josh

I've already got a machine that I'm probably going to put it on, it's a Intel Atom 1.6Ghz with 2Gig Ram, XP home and a 22 inch multitouch monitor.

My biggest concern is that this machine won't have enough "grunt" to allow me to do some basic pixel mapping.

It should handle it without a problem! MagicQ is designed with as little processor and RAM requirements as possible. To give you some kind of idea, the full size consoles are running with smaller numbers than you've given and have plenty headroom when running 18 fully loaded universes. Pixelmapping requires no more processing than many of the other software functions.

It also sounds exactly the same as my personal setup which has run without a problem for some time now.

Matt

A local hire firm use the eePC touchscreen/pc combined units. I believe they're running an intel atom or similair small scale processor. Seem to perform pretty well. I think the main thing is having a "virgin" pc with no antivirus or other rubbish,

I think the main thing is having a "virgin" pc with no antivirus or other rubbish,

Exactly.. my system is running with MagicQ, Open office for documents/patch sheets/etc, Adobe Reader for manuals and documents, my printer status monitor and a copy of AVG Free as a lot of unknown USB sticks go in and out of it. Other than that everything unnecessary has been taken off it, but I do leave Windows update on, but set to only install when told to stop any unexpected interruptions! The same goes for AVG, there's no scheduled scans or updates set but I run one manually every so often.

That said I have also run shows off my laptop which is filled to the brim with several years worth of files and programs and also not had a problem.. probably not advisable though!

Archived