Headphones for OB mixing

haymere

I am trying to find a new pair of headphones. They have to have great isolation cos I have to do outside broadcast mixes for a radio station and have to be 80 ohm to provide the volume.

I have Beyer dt100's already and Sennheiser HD25's and neither of these suit

Any ideas

Mark

I was actually going to suggest the DTs - what's wrong with them? If it's the 'sound' of the DTs, then consider the 150s instead. The Sennheisers are pretty good too.

What exactly is it you want that these don't do? More isolation, less ear clamping?

More isolation please also lower impedance as I have 400 ohm ones at the mo

The obvious choice if you need better isolation would be something from the Peltor range - Bluelines come to mind. They do versions without the usual mic boom. I worn these for a few concert camera jobs and the downside is that they clamp your head pretty tightly to keep the fluid seal working, and they make your ears really hot. The frequency response isn't what you'd call hi-fi, but you get used to it pretty quickly. If you want more hi-fi sound, the Koss Pro4AA are pretty good. I had a pair of the original Pro4 model and physical fit is rather like the peltors - impedance wise they are 250 (the Peltors are similar) which may be too high to get decent level.

Any good?

+1 on the Sony 7509 suggestion--they're what I tend to use when I need lots of isolation and a good level.

However, a resource that might be of use to you is "Dave Rat's Mighty Headphone Quest" where he tests a whole pile of headphones with a view to live use. There's something like 7 parts on his blog (which I why I don't provide a single link) as well as a number of videos. It's worth a read and watch if you're considering buying some decent headphones.

Bob

+1 on the Sony 7509 suggestion--they're what I tend to use when I need lots of isolation and a good level.

However, a resource that might be of use to you is "Dave Rat's Mighty Headphone Quest" where he tests a whole pile of headphones with a view to live use. There's something like 7 parts on his blog (which I why I don't provide a single link) as well as a number of videos. It's worth a read and watch if you're considering buying some decent headphones.

Bob

I am watching a set of koss ones on ebay think a friend has a pair I could borrow

Will keep a pair of dt100's tho

Archived