Casual Work

Matthew Robinson

Hello.

My circumstances re education have changed over the summer (I've also turned 18). I'm now (as of 27th) studying electrical and electronic engineering at the university of sheffield. I plan to join the IET (student member) and the amateur dramatics society (SuTCo).

I've been thinking about work over Christmas, for extra beer money to supplement my living allowance for uni, and I've been considering casual work in the local theatres - Wakefield and/or the numerous in Leeds.

So, my question is, if I apply for casual work, what do I need to do? Will I need insurance? etc.

Thank you, and yes, I've trawled through about 5 pages of search results, and (although I may have used slightly 'woolly' search terms), they all seemed to be offers of work.

Thank you,

Matthew Robinson

I'd suggest that you look for work where THEY will do your tax and NI and "employment" paperwork for you. As an employee you should get the after tax portion of the wages paid, meaning what you get is yours. If you get a freelance self employed contract then you are responsible for your own tax and NI etc, also for your own actions so personal accident and liability insurance are essential, and the annual premiums for a young person could cost more than your earnings for a short season of work.

Archived