Introduction to Electrics Book

Hi All,

I've recently taken on a new foreman to replace one who left us mid-season, I had already booked places on a 7909 course for myself, my business partner and my old foreman but all of us had quite a lot of experience and knowledge of electrics and electrical installations. My new chap doesn't have that experience or knowledge and so as to make the course worthwhile for him I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions of handy books. I've looked through the "Useful Books" topics and seen all the IET ones there (a couple of which I'm going to get copies of for myself) but I think they might go straight over his head.... worry not, we're not letting him loose on any electrics until he has built up the knowledge base and had some practice (starting with plug and play type things) but I wondered if anybody knew of anything to give him a little kick start?

Cheers,

Chris

The one book I always recommend is "Automated lighting " by Richard Cadena. Do not be put off by the title. this book covers electrical components , electricity, types of cable etc. pretty much everything electrical that you will find in a theatre. highly recommended .

The one book I always recommend is "Automated lighting " by Richard Cadena.

This is a good book, but do be aware that Richard is US based and although he has taken care to make it accessible to the international reader, some of the examples given centre on US conventions and standards.

The laws of physics, however, defy such regional variations ;-)

Simon

Archived