Automating a news feed

DSA

University Radio Bath have been using an computer/ NTP based system for, erm, quite a while. It works well enough, you just need to make sure that the computers clock is synchronised on a regular basis.

We did it using Linux and a few perl scripts. The whole system produces non-stop branded audio, and News (orginally from SBN, I believe they're now using IRN directly)

email urb-eng [ta] bath.ac.uk for more information. Tell them Mark sent you :( . (I don't have copies of the code any more, although I whould really go and fetch some....)

Oh, and the system means that the presenters only have to put the a fader up (it's normally quiet) during a period of about a minute or so before the news. Then bring down any music when the jingle gets fired off.

Thanks for the replies so far.

We are looking at this as a general solution, however there is a thought that DJs would fiddle and then we'd be in a real pickle, so to speak.

Is anyone aware of a way of way of locking the interface up to unauthorised users?

David

You could be in a pickle anyway! I used to work for a hospital radio and one of the luddite but senior presenters put a hammer through the HD on the new playout pc and lost Everything for us. Moral of the story Back Everything up and back that up. then back that up off site. Look at caddied hard drives in raid. P2 's Myriad does all you want and is used by many uk mainline radio stations. They offered us a full system hardware, software loaded and soak tested for a week. then delivered by a training tech and installed with presenter training all for a great price.

Archived