chasing rope light

computer

Hi,

For a new show coming up soon we're using white rope light round two stages (big stage, and a mini stage), with a 'catwalk' between. these are two sets of duralite mains white stuff which is going to be on dimmers. however, I'm looking for some chasing rope light in white.

we're looking at about 6-7m times 2, one set all the way down each side of the length of the catwalk, and we want it to be white, and somehow chase. I don't mind if its mains or lowvoltage, as we can put it on a switchpack. we really want 4 circuits minimum and have the controller so when its powered up it'll start chasing quite rapidly down the length of itself (either oneway or back and forth, we dont mind)...

if anyone can let me know of a supplier of this stuff that sells in small quantities and won't overspend our budget, please let me know. or if you have any other bright ideas of accomplishing this effect, again, reply t othe thread.

thanks,

computer

We used ropelight for the Herod scene in Jesus Christ Superstar, but we didn't want it to chase. The stuff we had was just for garden Christmas decoration etc, and it had a little switch box thing so you could change the type of chase, and it always started with a chase so we had to cut out the box and do it straight to the mains. But if you want it chasing then I guess Chrismas lighting would probabaly be the cheapest option.

yeah a lot of christmas lights though only have 2 or 3 channels so they just seem to alternate. but if you have 4-6 then it really can look spectacular (seen it before somewhere)...

but the other option is to get some multichannel mains white stuff if there is no other option, and either if it defaults to the right chase put it on a switchpack, or cut out the box, and wire it to an alphapack or something to give us independantly dimmable channels (and setup chases on the desk, etc)...

yeah the other option is to use some cheap christmas lights (the ones you put on trees) - if we get a 4 channel set or 4x1channel sets and then offset them slgihtly to chase them with it'd be good - its annoying though, I have some 4 coloured rope light at home, which you can get in white, and its great, but its really 2 channels and they pair up the blue/yellow and red/green.... :stagecrew:

I'll have to checkout the flexiflash again - if we can get 2 lots of 5m then that would be in the budget I suppose - but do you need the controller or can it be done via analogue/DMX?

I'll have to checkout the flexiflash again - if we can get 2 lots of 5m then that would be in the budget I suppose - but do you need the controller or can it be done via analogue/DMX?

The Flexi-Flash will look much more spectacular than a few strings of fairy lights. Although if you had a couple of strings of festoon overlapping that could look quite good. At a minimum you need the controller and the Flexi-Flash, with obviously cable between. The controller supplies the power and control signals to the Flexi-Flash, and you then control it via the controller. You could however add a demux/analogue feed if you want to run it off the main lighting desk, via subs, cue-stack etc.

HTH

PN

I know that this post doesn't help, but a few years ago on a job we had some "PROFESSIONAL" rope light, and it was really cool, came with a controller that you could change the speed of the flash or the chase, the controller was DMX as well, I think (and its only a guess) the kit came from elstree light and power or if not them, then it was one of the tv lx hire companies (but not RML)

paul....

Archived