Things to look for when Importing Moving Heads

smalljoshua

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't seem to see any prices on the chinese web site, so does anyone know how much a new chinese fixture would cost compared to say, a Martin Mac 500 from Used Lighting (£825 +VAT). Obviously both ways would have their pros and cons.

We are getting 2x Moving heads, 2x Osram lamps and a dual flight case and shipping for £1000

Adding the expected VAT (from Paul's post) that is about £1050 maximum which is much less than any price I could find for units with similar specs and still less than just the lesser specified Thomann MH575s units without case or lamps.

Josh

We are getting 2x Moving heads, 2x Osram lamps and a dual flight case and shipping for £1000

Adding the expected VAT (from Paul's post) that is about £1050 maximum which is much less than any price I could find for units with similar specs and still less than just the lesser specified Thomann MH575s units without case or lamps.

Josh

Well the way it works from the rate stated is the £1000 initial cost add the 3.75 duty so thats £1037 then add VAT to that, the total sums come in at something like:

1000 x 1.037 = 1037 (cost before VAT)

1037 x 1.175 = 1218.48 (cost you are likely to pay)

I dont mean to sound harsh but if you dont get the maths of the costs of importing you shouldnt be doing it as there are pitfalls in there where things can cost a lot more than you realise.

The simple fact that you have underestimated the cost by over £150 is a big deal considering thats 15% of what you thought it would cost...

Edit for double post

Josh - a quick question. Shipping. A twin flightcase from China is a very expensive shipment. When I import microphones, it's quite common for a £600 order to have £300 worth of shipping charges if they use DHL or similar. Sea freight is cheaper but might take two months or more to actually arrive? Have they mentioned this part of the price? A grand for two in a case is too cheap?

One other idea.

If you bought two, and just a few other BR members did the same, then maybe the prospect of a co-op exists. Let's say three people have two each, then you could all get together and if any of you need all six, then you either pay each other for sub-hire, or do it for 'credit'. You borrow free of charge the other 4. When they need them you send yours - and at the end of a period, you then settle up, based on the totals. If all of you lent them twice - nothing to pay.

Small users could have access to more kit at lower prices. Just an idea.

While we're on the subject of shipping from the far east, I thought I would add to it seeing as I look after our shipments to and from that area. At the prices you have been quoted for shipping it's likely that it would be by sea freight for that weight unless you have paperwork suggesting it would be going via UPS/DHL/etc. If it is going by sea freight then you can almost certainally save yourself a fair amount of money by not using their shipper and organising one yourself. The people we tend to use are RH Freight who arrange a factory to our front door service for us at very reasonable prices.

Another thing to be aware of is that if they are arranging shipping, quite often this will just be into port (Felixstowe and Southampton are among the most common) and you will then have to go to the port and pay up for the duties and VAT before the shipment is released for you to transport. Have they specifically offered to deliver to your door?

Even with a reliable shipper on board, getting goods into the country from that part of the world can be a logistical and beurocratic nightmare so good luck!

Matt

Hi Matt,

The shipping is by UPS Air 3-5 days and is a door to door service arranged by the manufacturer. We have contacted UPS and they have confirmed that the prices are correct and that they will assist us with the VAT and Import Payments to ensure a quick delivery.

Thanks everyone for the constructive input offered.

Josh

Edited to appear less blunt.

One other idea.

If you bought two, and just a few other BR members did the same, then maybe the prospect of a co-op exists. Let's say three people have two each, then you could all get together and if any of you need all six, then you either pay each other for sub-hire, or do it for 'credit'. You borrow free of charge the other 4. When they need them you send yours - and at the end of a period, you then settle up, based on the totals. If all of you lent them twice - nothing to pay.

Small users could have access to more kit at lower prices. Just an idea.

I must say Paul, I like the idea of a co-op and it's something I'll bear in mind when we make our decision.

Josh

Well, let us know how it turns out!

That company does appear slightly 'dodgy' however, as no truly reputable company exporting to the EU would clone Avolites that blatantly - they may take a very relaxed view of patents and copyright in some parts of China, but that is not the case in Europe.

I would be very surprised if these units really do comply with the requirements for CE marking, and you will need to do fairly extensive safety tests on them before offering them to third parties for hire.

- The only things I've brought in from China have been bare-board PCBs for various daft little projects. While I don't know if they really were proper FR4, they were perfectly good for my purposes.

Just a couple of thoughts, did they quote you a price in GBP, more usual for Chinese to quote prices in USD. So factor in currency conversion fluctuation and percentage in your costs.

Another hidden cost could actually be paying them, Paypal is unusual for al ot of Chinese trade suppliers they usually want T/T , Telegraphic Transfer which might add another few quid to your calculations.

Payment is Via Paypal and we have factored their conversion rates into the price as we have the Paypal Charges.

We will be ensuring that the units are fully inspected and PATested by (as it happens) a friendly local electronics engineer before they are put into service if we decide to purchase them.

Many Thanks

Josh

I can shed a little light on this one - I'm a member of a Chinese buying group and Chinese nationals kind of join to be able to trade with the 'outside world'. They set up agency like status with the actual manufacturers, and the buying/selling group do actually set up paypal systems. The buying group rate their members in a system similar to ebay. So for small orders, this works well, and gets around the minimum order problem by a small priced premium.

One of my popular microphones costs me just over $50 if I buy 50 at a time. 50 last me around about 9 months or so, but if I have a bit of a run on them, I might need to bolster up the stock a little - but I may not have enough spare cash for another big order. I can get just a few from another source on the buying group, but I pay $64 via paypal. It works for me.

The actual suppliers being middle men don't actually hang around that often, two of mine no longer do microphones at all, having moved into other electronics - so you just find another.

My experience is that pricing is always in USD, and the actual exchange rate changes between checkout and paypal notification. - One the other day for $1700 ended up the equivalent of $1730 by the time paypal processed it.

The Chinese don't consider counterfeiting to be a bad thing like we do, so you can find a firm making excellent condenser mics selling SM57s too.

I've got a couple of Fresnels sitting here - I've decided that I cannot sell these as I'm sure the CE certification isn't anything other than a stamp! However, if you open up an Arri 650 or 1K lantern, you'd be hard pressed to see a difference. They're not really sophisticated internally, and the ones I have are fine. The weak part is engineering accuracy. One side panel has the holes in not quite the right place, so it doesn't sit quite squarely, and the screws themselves are a bit soft. I tried to tighten one and it started to crinkle.

I've not bought movers before, but I'm seriously thinking about it - depends on spare cash really.

Archived