UPS

Joe Bleasdale

Another vote for Ebuyer. Always found them excellent and virtually unbeatable for most things computer.

The argument for UPS on modern consoles is a very good one IMO. Their biggest disadvantage is disk based operating systems and the associated boot times. I'm not aware of any that are infallible. Just like any computer you might get away with a sudden power down most of the time, but if you're unlucky things can get corrupted. And even if it is ok you will naturally lose any data since the last save. A cold restrike lamp might take longer to come back online but in an emergency all you want is to get some conventionals up on the stage.

Given that all you need is a couple of minutes to save the show, setup a state and safely shutdown you can get away with a pretty basic UPS. I don't see much value in supporting anything other than the console and external VDU if needed. Perhaps other PC's like media servers to get them shutdown correctly. I'd approximate 200W per computer device and 100W per LCD monitor and look for no more than 5mins at that load. You will pay a premium to get rack mount.

I have just bought one of these from APC

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/inclu...total_watts=400

NOT rack mounted but fits nicely in an off the shelf peli style case and find it very good value for money.

Was running a show on its second outing and had an issue with the FOH supply, someone had turned the tripp off on the distro thinking it was a rear stage work light and all bells and whistles went!.

If you have a power failure I would like to think the problem would be resolved within 5 minutes of failure and depending what you running ths UPS would likely suffice.

Certainly saved me as we all know how long Wholehog systems take to reboot!!

Just a note on UPSs - they are not generally designed for "the rigours of the road", but to sit in one place and never move. Particularly since they have relatively heavy batteries in them.

Treat them very gently, even more so than the console they power.

If you are buying a UPS, an "online" or "double conversion" is the type to get, preferably with sine or pseudo-sine out. That way you are always running on locally generated power.

Archived