Thomann Box Pro (Wooden) speakers

Pete Alcock

I'm soon to be buying a pair of active 15" speakers for a gigging band with about a grand to spend. They'll be used with 4, 2 or no single 18 subs depending on the venue. The Thomann Box Pro Achat 15MA seem to be formidable value given that they're about £390 each. They certainly look the part (aeroquip flying tracks, bottom shackle thingy, nice finish etc), but the question is are they actually any good? I can find no reviews anywhere.

I can't imagine Thomann putting their name to rubbish so I'm reasonably confident. I'm not expecting PS15 performance and tone, just a balanced, fairly smooth response with plenty of pwer. Has anybody out there got, or used a pair, and do you like them?

The alternatives under consideration are LD Systems Stingers. I don't really want plastic speakers.

Thanks. Pete.

... I can find no reviews anywhere.

There are 4 reviews on the Thomann site. They are however not easy to find. You have to go into the site with German as your language selection and go to the product and the reviews appear at the bottom of the page. To make finding the product easy just note the order code and stick that into the German search box.

Google can then translate the text for you...

By The Box 115 Pro Achat MA has managed to position it in the house brand is also an active 15 ", 1.4" multifunction, which provides in respect of workmanship and sound to many major manufacturers a serious but less expensive alternative. The 1.4 "tweeter is equipped with a very large horn, which also enables operation over long distance. The 15" bass is tuned extremely hard, making him not only very loud, but particularly precise and high-mid- does fit. This is a sign that the box is meant more as a multi-function stop part because as a full range speaker. Nevertheless, it is also in full-range area and as an active stage monitor good use.

Very useful are the flight tracks on the top of the box and attached to the back of flying eyes to the angulation of the box. The amplifier module is in contrast to many other manufacturers a monaural power amplifier with a passive crossover network behind it. The reason is that the active version of the passive The Box Pro Achat 115 M should be sound as similar as possible. This is also an outstanding success. The internal amplifier delivers enough power at the same high level of passive box away.

We have searched and searched for active full-range speakers to buy.

All major brands were checked and screwed the budget to be gaining momentum. We have always been reluctant (although warmest recommendation to buy) the ACHAT.

At some point, but then we revert to have made a good faith compromise. What can I say, the speakers sound really great.

We play Rockabilly - Surf - Country Rock and it sounds super good. Nice lot of bass (but not bollerig) very nice balanced midrange and smooth treble.

For large venues, it does not hurt to put a size 18 but for smaller club gigs Sub underneath the agate range 115 absolute.

The purchase was NOT a compromise but just the right (THANKS GERD PANZER - The expert, I say!) ;-)

However, it warns one thing that interested - should weigh the parts and transport bags are not (refilling THOMANN HERE MUST!), Otherwise I can recommend the best boxing conscience.

Dear Thomann team (in particular, Tobias and Mark Künneth Chmelik), I was long looking for a product like this. For our rental, we were looking speaker with the following key parameters:

- Bass in a 15 "chassis

- In the mid-high driver with a 1.3 "-2" mouth opening

- Wooden case

- With integrated amplifier

- Fluschienen

- Monitor angle

- Stand mounting flange

- Angle of not more than 75 ° hor

With this box, our dreams have been fulfilled. She is fine and affordable by all customers, where we put them to use accepted very quickly. Only the weight could of course turn out a little lower. At that price, but to really get over. So dear Thomann team: when will the 12 "and 10" variant? And finally, when the shells come from?

A speaker of the many applications despite its affairs is good, and the weight is still usable.

Even with the jobs you're alone Does this handling of speaker still good. Only by hanging for flying use a 2.Mann is needed.

The sound is great. Clear highs and mids, and bass is powerful and assertive. is recommended but a 18 inch model, the "untenrum" a little nachhilft.

The internal amplifier has no fan, so that even in a quiet setting, the VA have nothing interferes. Nevertheless, they remain powerful, and not overheated.

All in all, buying a top recommendation is to pronounce.

Brian,

Fantastic! Thanks a lot. I love the Google translation ("flying eyes to the angulation of the box").

All seems pretty positive. As long as no-one else comes up with any horror stories I think we'll probably go with them.

I shall report back in due course.

PA.

• 4 weeks later...

I figured it might be helpful to report back. The boxes arrived and the finish way exceeded my expectations. Plywood cabinet, usual spatter finish, really good quality rigging on top, sides and back, and the amp module is nicely recessed so the knob might not get snapped off.

Internally I was expecting a standard ferrite magnet woofer and a weedy tweeter on a thin plastic horn, but was again surprised. Neo woofer with cast frame, and a 1.4" exit comp driver on a massive fibreglass horn.

Sound-wise I've only had them on in the lounge so far but they sound detailed and fairly well balanced. Certainly no obvious nasties in the response. I would say a slightly bright presentation on first listen, but nothing that can't be tamed with subtle eq.

Look forward to firing them up in anger on the two gigs this weekend. Free big band concert at Highcliffe Castle on the south coast on Sunday 1-4pm if anyone's interested. Seriously, at £391 each for a 131dB active box it's a steal. PA.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/petealcock/ThomannBox002.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/petealcock/ThomannBox003.jpg

HI there,

A year ago I completed a major installation in Cork City in the republic of Ireland. The brief was for a bar/restaurant by day with Nightclub at night, very high end required.At the outset I was toying with Turbosound/Function 1, EV, JBL etc. As I was spending a lot of someone elses money ( I had a top limit of 250,000 euros but with the usual as cheap as possible caveat) I decided to visit Thomanns HQ in southern Germany.

Thomann were very happy to demo everything I asked for and allowed me to inspect the demo rig (no hidden 'magic box ') for all the brands and configurations I asked for. When I asked for their wild card suggestion they demo'd the Achat boxes,

The small cx 108s as infill dispersed around the building,(there are 3 bars) the 115s and 112 subs on the main dancefloor with a 218 sub(which isn't from the Achat range but seems to be a Turbo Clone)

My jaw dropped, these things are the best price/quality speaker I've ever come across. I love them, A year later they're still running, no problems, no worries. The club is noted for the sound system by now. Thomann were courteous, respectful and helpfull to deal with, as indeed they still are. I'm converted.

CLick here for the clubs' site, it also links to a facebook page where you can chat to the resident tech.

• 7 months later...

Hi Mervaka,

Not since my initial curiosity after buying them! They've been good as gold. All the amp circuitry is mounted on to the back of the heatskink so is accessible by reoving a dozen screws. Drivers can be removed from the front, and I daresay Thomann would be able to supply spares if required.

It's a fallacy that an actve box with a passive crossover is necessarily less godd than a bi-amped box. Provided the crossover is well designed and uses decent quality components it can be every bit as good. They are certainly not lacking in

Just really good cabinets that are exceptional value for money.

PA.

I'm not questioning their design by any means. I was just curious whether the semiconductors used are available as off-the-shelf components from Farnell etc, should they need replacing further down the line. Behringer products are often made from unlabelled components, and without schematics then you're very much at a dead end.

• 4 months later...

I have re fitted the drivers in said speaker from thomann, under the gudiance of blackwaterduncan .the only thing you have to watch out for while re fiting the drives is a potential for cross threading. the threads pull easily , you must take care . other than that, they are more that a match for function 1 or void imo.

I have re fitted the drivers in said speaker from thomann, under the gudiance of blackwaterduncan .the only thing you have to watch out for while re fiting the drives is a potential for cross threading. the threads pull easily , you must take care . other than that, they are more that a match for function 1 or void imo. Also......the wires to the main driver are tight ish.

• 2 years later...

Any further developments on these cabs?

I am looking for an active PA setup of something along the lines of 12" over 15" subs and these look interesting.

I am also considering StudioSpares auditorium range, and maybe HK Actor / L5 or similar.

Whilst on this subject , does anyone know the make of drivers used in Thomann own brand speakers.

We are looking to spec some of their 218 Bass Bins for a job and the build quality and specs look good for the price.

I`m just wondering how good the drivers are inside the cabs?

Matt

The studiospares Auditorium speakers are made by SoundKing in China, and I've gone through quite a few of them. I imported some 2 X 15" and am pretty pleased with the sound, and they supplied a bi-amped version. The ones with built in rear wheels have been very handy. The only negative I have found is that they travel less well, finish wise - which means they get tatty quicker than I expected - the finish chips off a little too easily for my liking. The matching subs are pretty good value.

If a project came up needing a big sounding modest priced speaker system, I'd buy again.

Thomann's product line is also sourced from China, so the actual driver source is very difficult to track down. I have some Thomann plastic boxes, bought over the years and the drivers are not identical in products with the same model number.

Archived