Rear Projection, in a Marquee, at Midday.

DrummerJonny

Heres the situation:

We have a large (50ft) marquee, set up on a youth event near Derby. Today, we were told that tomorrow, at around midday, they want to show a video...

We have a setup consisting of a small (classroom size) Sanyo Projector, and a small (2m wideish, its hanging behind an act that are currently performing so I have to estimate) rear projection screen.

Budget is pretty much zero, but we have access to various pieces of material to attempt to black the tent out. there are no alternative venues.

I guess my question is, what is the best way to go about getting something resembling a picture onto the screen? I'm no p[rojection expert, but have seen tunnels being made for rear projection in sunlight, would this work better than trying to black the tent out?

The sun will be roughly 45 degrees from the front of the screen, and obviously failure is not an option....

Any ideas???

E2A: We do have a smaller, totally blacked-out marquee, but nowhere near big enough for the audience. would putting the screen in the doorway and rear projecting with the audience outside work? I'm clutching at straws here....

Of course failure is an option. It is their failure for not giving sufficient notice.

If the 50' marquee is a modern, white, clearspan you are basically screwed and the best quikfix there is a tunneled back projection, you won't have time to black the marquee out before noon and the forecast is sunny. My own solution would be to show it in the blacked out marquee and let them accept the fact that they will have a smaller audience. Showing it with the audience outside and the screen in the doorway would most likely result in a washed out blur.

The impossible we do at once, miracles require some notice. You are being asked to provide a cheap solution to their problems and they should be made aware that the problems are theirs, not yours. Good luck.

well...

we managed to find a more powerful projector, and are running it close to the screen, with a really rudimentary tunnel above the lot....

not the best solution at all... but it works, the kids can see the video, and the boss man is happy...

No budget and time may not lead to the best quality of work, but still, I'm impressed with what we've managed...

Archived