Re-wiring lanterns

Brian

I'm having a senior moment here....

I can't for the life of my remember what sort of cable (3-core) I should be using to rewire lanterns. For some reason I'm thinking silicone insulated but there's this voice at the back of my head saying 'wrong'.

I'm thinking something like RS 192-7934?

I've always been under the impression it's the Silicone stuff too - something like

1.5mm TRS 3-Core Silicon

Price: £1.47(€2.14) Including VAT at 17.5%

Silicon High temp. Cable

which is available from 10outof10.

Stu

Hi Brian,

AIUI, 180 degree C silicone insulated flex is indeed the right stuff to use.

If you're fitting 15A or 16A plugs, you might want the 1.5mm2 cable - RS #192-7956.

Marc

the size of the cable isn't to do with the rating of the plug, but the demands of the lamp - so for a lower wattage lantern, a smaller gauge flex is suitable.

the size of the cable isn't to do with the rating of the plug, but the demands of the lamp - so for a lower wattage lantern, a smaller gauge flex is suitable.

But you do need to get an efficient clamp on the outer. As silicon is not particularly robust, isn't it about time someone developed an alternative? Maybe this is what we should be asking for at PLASA.

Archived