Re: Patt lanterns for sale

Thirdtap

'Lo

A bit of a surprise in the classified section. Some Patt lanterns are being offered for sale and a few people seem intrested in them. Patt 23s and 123s I have found they good lamps to use, soild and reliable downsides being the output and the price of lamps. Several people have told me that they are out of date and obsolete and they don't like to use them. Most of these comments have been from amateur companies, so is it a case of professionals making do with what ever they can get hold of or would people still use these lanterns over others say ....hurmmph TEATRO?

For the price of £40ish and (if the lanterns have been rewired) how long working life do the lanterns have left? 10 years - 15 years?

Can anyone tell me what these lanterns would have been brought for orginally? In new money speak please cos I am a metric kid.

If you're on a limited budget, then they're perfectly passable 1/2k fresnels and profiles (though limited beam angles). Personally for £45ish, I'd expect them to be in good nick, rewired, with hook clamp and safety chain. However, I'd question the usefulness of a fresnel, if I didn't have barndoors for it...

As for the lamps, they're not that expensive, or maybe you're buying lamps from the wrong place. With regards to life expectancy, it should be a long time - spare lenses are readily available. The only major prolems are when the square lump that locks the body of the lantern to the yoke wears away and the lantern sags 20 degrees after you've focussed it. Oh, and I've seen various Pattern cast alloy lanterns crack if you drop them on concrete!

The 123's I am offering have been rigged in a school hall for a number of years, only coming down recently to be replaced. They are all in good condition, some c/w barndoors, safety chain & colour frame.

£35 is not too bad considering that Kave (a company based in Sussex that I would never use due to too many bad experences years ago) are selling theirs off for £65 which is ridiculous!

Personally 123's are not a bad lamp just a bit past it with newer equipment having better optics and output.

Archived