We will rock you

Pete Alcock

I've long regarded the West-end shows as the pinnacle of our art (theatre sound) in the UK and most of the shows I've seen have been technically aspirational. This was re-affirmed four years ago when I went to see We will rock you - it was the most spectacular thing I'd ever seen and heard in a theatre. I spoke to the sound op afterwards to tell him as such and he was appreciative of the comments.

I took the family to see it yesterday and we were all so disappointed for one reason alone. The show was thrilling in all the same ways and the dialogue was crisp and clear - you could hear every word. BUT... when the songs came it was just insanely loud. We were 15m back, on-axis to a 5-stack of V-DOSC being caned to within an inch of its life, and it was a pretty painful experience. I'm no stranger to dramatic live sound levels, but this was totally unnecessary in a West-end musical. It got to the point where you dreaded the next song coming, and basically it spoilt the evening out.

I'm not posting simply to slag off a popular show (I've already said it was great), but I want to genuiunely try and understand why the producers/sound designer has insisted on stupid levels, and if they have not, why the sound op is driving the show so hard as to be endangering folks. I suspect there's no point me writing to Ben or Brian or the theatre, so if anyone knows a tecchie on the show, I'd happily provide further comment by PM.

Pete.

I've seen the show 6 times over about 5 years, and though I've never noticed a massive increase in volume (although only once sitting in the stalls)

Maybe it was just a off day? or you were sitting in a particular hotspot. Did you talk to people around you about the loudness?

They do run the levels louder than many other venues and shows.. I think this is to give off the 'rock concert' effect to the audience.

Maybe it was just a off day?

Off day?

I suspect that if a professional West End soundie had too many 'off days' they'd soon have a lot of days 'off'....

Though my opinion of in rock shows is well documented in these halls, I've not yet come across an ear splitting theatre show... yet....

Around 2 years ago, I went to see a well known 60's group at the Bristol Hippodrome. They were originally a very pleasant listening experience, however on this occasion the lead singer ( the only original member) used his microphone with a most ungentlemanly action and the sound was excruciating. I left in the interval with my ears ringing, observing that around half the audience were also departing. As a result I now take my earplugs to every show, though have only required them twice.

Brian

My first thought with the original poster is that it's possible one of the original music contributors was present and their hearing isn't as ... precise ... as the bell curves would suggest for their age ... if you get my drift.

I'm also wondering - and this is purely speculative here - whether it's the same operator behind the desk. I suspect that several years on that same mixing desk with a semi-regular increase in level for the special guest slots that happen on that show may start to have an impact on the ear drums.

And there is the wanting it to be a rock concert artistic choice ...

TBH, this is just my opinion dont bit my neck off or anything but you have kinda lost your point to complain about this. if you had said something on the night that would have been better. I wouldn't contact the sound designer because they will be doing spot checks anyway.

sam

I saw this show last year at the Bham Hippodrome and thought the sound was excellent (And im a lampy!). Everything was crystal clear, at a good volume and the low end really packed a punch! Not sure if its the same tour though!

I saw this show last year at the Bham Hippodrome and thought the sound was excellent (And im a lampy!). Everything was crystal clear, at a good volume and the low end really packed a punch! Not sure if its the same tour though!

As did I - obviously the tour will differ in some ways from the installed show in London, but principles will I'm sure remain the same.

And slightly off topic, I sat on the back row of the stalls, almost on the noise boy's lap, and was quite amused (and impressed in a way) that the guy spent almost the whole show bopping around to the music whilst still making a good mix!

Still enjoying the show whilst on a major tour has got to speak volumes (pun intended).

Couldn't agree more, saw the show last month and found it uncomfortably loud. I DJ every weekend so listen to a fair bit of loud music but found myself at some points holding my hands over my ears, especially when the singers were hitting high notes! Like the poster I've seen the show twice, once about 5 years ago and then last month.

Archived