Martin Magnum 550 Smoke Machine

Floydey

My Martin Magnum 550 smoke machine started to make a loud buzzing sound when firing the smoke up, so I took the top off and discovered the fluid was not getting to the pump properly (lots of air bubbles). Removing the filter from the end of the pipe that goes in to the fluid reservoir cured the problem. Does anyone know if this filter can be cleaned or do I need to get a new one? Obviously the next question will be - where do I get one from? or would it be safe to use without one?

Thanks in anticipation.

Well, the first answer is to the second question...

If the machine were intended for use without a filter, then it would be supplied without a filter.

The filter does exactly what the name suggests.....

As for cleaning it, that depends on how much it's gotten blocked. You could try soaking it in a vinegar solution then flushing through with DI water.

However, if it's really caked up a replacement may be a better option - and you should be able to source one via the majority of the major theatre suppliers.

Something odd here - even if the filter was blocked, it wouldn't be sucking in air bubbles - where's the air coming from?

Sounds like it just had an airlock in the pump, and you moving the pipe around has forced some fluid into the pump and primed it.

I bet if you put the filter back on it would still work OK.

Archived