Throat Mics

Sam Jelfs

So I need to build a simple comms system for communication between myself and one other person in a high noise environment... The problem is there is rather a lot of wind (60mph or more) as well as background noise, so was thinking that a lot of the normal mic options would not be very useful, so was wondering if anyone had any experience of using throat mics? Sound quality is not a huge issue, its more so that we can hear each other talk without having to shout for hours on end...

Any mics to look at or to avoid?

(sorry, this may be slightly OT, it's for use in a car, so mods feel free to delete, just thought this place might have more experience of this tech than a lot of other forums)

So I need to build a simple comms system for communication between myself and one other person in a high noise environment... The problem is there is rather a lot of wind (60mph or more) as well as background noise, so was thinking that a lot of the normal mic options would not be very useful,

I have never heard of a throat mic that worked, there are mics intended for high noise environments though. One that I have seen used successfully is the boom. Listen to the demos here.

Mac

Throat mics are a poor option, they have a very odd sound due to missing all the speecch components from the mouth tongue and teeth. However they were used in the military in the WWII and Cold War era, so try Anchor supplies in Nottingham and Ripley (actually call both branches)

Better performance would be found with a noise cancelling boom mic and high isolation earphones. Suppliers include Peltor prob available through RS and CPC. Also the Aero industry uses lots of these as combined headsets, so a trip to your local flying club shop or a read through any aviation magazine should provide you with lots of sources. Cedd (here) may help with pinouts if they are not obvious.

If your sport uses helmets then a direct enquiry to Peltor will find which/whether any suitable inots will fit into helmets.

Jet pilot and tank driver helmets have special shapes to accommodate earphones.

Don't they make 2 person intercom systems for motorcycle riders ?

Yes, although they've got the benefit of being shielded from the wind by being inside a helmet.

+1 for a decent noise cancelling mic. I'm sure the likes of Peltor will do something that fits your needs. Maybe also check out motorsport headsets?

Also to add, according to my ex-RAF uncle, there's no worse sound than someone throwing up whilst wearing a throat mic.

I've also recently been looking into throat mics. And have also been met with a barrage of conflicting information.

For example this site http://www.cool-talk.co.uk/ has a pair of great samples but it sounds too good to be true.

Knowing how a throat mic works, coupled with anecdotal info from fellow Blue Roomers, I can't see how their sample can be 'live'?

The oxygen mask mic used in the forces from WWII to the present, holds a mic capsule at a constant distance from the mouth and gets a reasonable sound. there is no need to supply oxygen! They are used at low level too where Oxygen isn't needed. The shape of the mask dramatically reduces extraneous noise. I think it's a dynamic insert.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Maybe the sports commentator's ribbon mic wouldn't suit your needs, but it is highly noise cancelling.

ok, so maybe the throat mics aren't the way to go.

Problem is that we normally wear either US style military field caps to keep the sun out of the eyes, or some custom motorbike skid lid-style helmets, so any over the head headsets are out... You can buy motorbike comm systems, but I have no experience of them, nor the chance to use them before spending out on them, and they aren't cheap either...

right, well if everyones experience of throat mics is bad, then I shall head over to a bike forum and see what they say about the starcom1 system... shame throat mics are so poor, would be an ideal comms system for on stage use, esp as you dont actually have to "speak" to be heard. I've never had the chance to use them, so wasn't sure on how good the quality was these days...

cheers all.

See what Anchor have for throat mics if you want to play. Better see what Peltor can offer in terms of standards compliant helmets with noise cancelling mic and headphones. A thorough search of the Peltor site will offer you suggestions.

http://www.peltor.se/int/default.asp

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

All "Formula" motor sport specifies helmets and usually has comms facility, so a look at Demon Tweeks www may offer something

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorsport/I...munication/1740

Other suppliers will exist

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorsport/I...m_Headsets/1743

ok, so maybe the throat mics aren't the way to go.

Problem is that we normally wear either US style military field caps to keep the sun out of the eyes, or some custom motorbike skid lid-style helmets, so any over the head headsets are out... You can buy motorbike comm systems, but I have no experience of them, nor the chance to use them before spending out on them, and they aren't cheap either...

right, well if everyones experience of throat mics is bad, then I shall head over to a bike forum and see what they say about the starcom1 system... shame throat mics are so poor, would be an ideal comms system for on stage use, esp as you dont actually have to "speak" to be heard. I've never had the chance to use them, so wasn't sure on how good the quality was these days...

cheers all.

Did you listen to the samples I linked to in my previous post? These are lightweight headsets that are available as headband style, or earset style, and are very effective in a windy vehicle.

I have friends who use these, and the clarity is better than any Peltor or David Clark high noise environment headset I have used. They also do not involve heavy noise isolation headsets, since the primary problem is noise getting into the mic. The Boom uses active noise cancellation rather than the "differoid" type noise cancelling mic in other high noise headsets.

Mac

Mac, I did, and theBoom V4 or E look ideal, but at between $300 and $600 for a pair of them plus some sort of control box, I cant really justify the expense, esp given the vehicle they will be used in isnt driven daily... If this was a day to day thing, then maybe...

Archived