Socapex - Crimps

TomLyall

Hello all,

I've got a fair few socapex connectors to make up soon, and I'm considering using crimped connections.

So, in short, I'm after your experiences / opinions of crimped connections (in comparison to soldered) as well as recommendations for crimping tools and connectors.

Cheers,

Tom

1) Well made crimped connections are more reliable than soldered connections.

2) Use the right tool - ie use the one supplied by whichever connector manufacturer you end up using.

The crimp type are considerably quicker to put together. All you need are strippers, the right crimp tool and a pair of pin pushing pliers.

See here on on the bottom of page 3 for assembly tools... Linky

As already mentioned, solder types can easily be repaired on site where as crimps can't, unless you carry spare crimps and the crimper. However if you are making a whole load of soca up then crimps are far quicker and less annoying.

And there's no danger of catching the cable jacket of an already soldered core, melting it and having to start all over again.

There's nothing to stop you soldering a crimp contact if you need to do a repair on site. But given the reliability of crimp contacts the chance of needing to do so should be remote.

The Crimp Tool that I was using to make cables cost $500 (that's what the boss told me) so that is another consideration to make, especially if you need another crimper on the road. I bet I have made over 200 Soco cables, both crimped and soldered. I even made a Socopex cable tester because we were making and repairing so many cables. This was while I was working at "Theatrical Lighting Systems" in Huntsville Alabama USA.

http://tlsinc.com/

Archived