red wine and champaigne making

Huw

Ginger Ale (as opposed to ginger beer) looks almost exactly like champagne without the need to add burnt sugar etc.

Or, if you need a bottle to open on stage, my local Tesco does a very low alcohol "Perry" in a bottle of roughtly the right shape, including a foil wrapped cork with twist off wire etc. It's under £2 a bottle ISTR.

Bob

Boots sell all the things you need to make up 'unopened' bottles of wine or for recapping beer bottles in their home brew section so you can fill a bottle with ginger ale, appletise or whatever you choose for bubbly and open it on-stage. Don't think Moet do the bottles of pop anymore but will give you empties, corks and sleeves if you ask nicely.

Red wine: if you can't get what everyone else has suggested... water, red food colour and a tiny bit of green to give it body.

Hope that helps.

Kate

Boots sell all the things you need to make up 'unopened' bottles of wine or for recapping beer bottles in their home brew section...

Have you tried Boots recently? Just that (as an occasional wine-maker) I thought that Boots had stopped doing home-brew and wine-making gear. I'd be interested to know if some branches still do (none of my local ones do).

Boots sell all the things you need to make up 'unopened' bottles of wine or for recapping beer bottles in their home brew section...

Have you tried Boots recently? Just that (as an occasional wine-maker) I thought that Boots had stopped doing home-brew and wine-making gear. I'd be interested to know if some branches still do (none of my local ones do).

They did six months ago that's all I can say but then that's up here in Scotlandshire. Maybe they'll have it in for christmas??

• 2 weeks later...
I've found that for red wine, Ribena with flat Coke added works well - the Coke makes it less transparent. I also used to add a couple of drops of blue food colouring to give it a bit more of a purple tinge. Works well, tastes fine (like a variant on Cherry Coke!) and looks good.

Moet & Chandon always come up with the goods for me, write to them & tell them you'll credit them and they should send you some.

An amdram group who used to perform in a previous venue of mine had some bizarre notion that from the audience Tizer would look like champagne!!! No, it looked exactly like brightly lit Tizer!

Archived