Are any headphones comfortable with spectacles?

Johnno

What are the main criteria - sound quality, acoustic isolation, hearing clear comms, the ever present budget? In terms of comfort and quality I'm quite a fan of the Sony MDR 7506's, but the trade off is that their isolation isn't as good as say Beyer DT100's.

I've also had pain with glasses and headphones - I started out with HD-25s, but found them pretty painful - the pressure on the ears meant the arm of my glasses dug into the back of the ear. I followed them with HD-280 Pros, which were okay, pretty comfortable, but the bass replication wasn't as accurate as the HD-25s - a bit 'boomy' and 'hifi', as opposed to being truly clear. I then replaced those with Sony MDR V6s, the domestic variant of the MDR 7506 mentioned above, and I'm pretty happy with them, especially considering they were cheaper than the HD 280s. Lightweight, not too much pressure on the ears, nice and efficient (I always found DT100s a bit quiet on most outputs) and pretty sturdy.

Have you considered trying some of the in-ear models such as the Shure SCL-2 or better? These would avoid any contact with the glasses' legs and can offer good isolation. You could even go one better and get some proper ear-moulds made for comfort and isolation.

Steve

I use HD25s with glasses and have quite a simple solution if I am going to be wearing them for more than a few minutes. All I do is pop my glasses arms up so they sit ontop of the earpiece. A movement of maybe 1cm. No pain and doesnt affect my vision. Ive not tried this with any other headphones, but it all comes down to the size of the earpiece

Regrettably, I think the better the isolation, the greater the scope for discomfort, whether or not one wears glasses (which I do). Although much slower to get on and seated, the M-Audio IE10 earbuds sound as good as any closed phones I've heard, and are the same price as decent closed phones (of which I prefer the ExtremeHeadphones EX29 V3 and Sennheiser 280 (I've yet to hear any of the Ultrasones).

I regularly wear HD480s with glasses at work, and while there's a bit more load on the legs it's better than with headphones that have cups. Headphones aren't the best I've ever heard but they're not bad by any means!

hth,

--

Olly

Archived