Teaching Lighting

Does anyone know of any slides that could be used (or act as a basis for more) for an absolutely idiots guide to teaching lighting. Nothing complex required, basically this is a dimmer, its where the fixture plugs in....sort of level.

The intention is just to give people a general feel for lighting, terms, the way it works, and what goes on, not teach them in detail how to be a professional lampy.

what level and what course?

probably have some stuff that I used before. (after 13yrs, given it up!!! mind you, a lot poorer too)

I was intending pitching it at complete newcomers/beginners, so they'd be able to understand something like, "can you get the grelcos from such and such please", and they knew what went on. e.g. there's more to lighting than plugging a light in anywhere. And so they'd understand "no you can't have another lantern on that bar because....."

Like I said before it wasn't to teach lighting really, but rather an awareness. I think I'm probably going to make my own stuff from scratch.

When you say slides do you meen like power point sildes?

I think that if you are makieng aware then its proberly best, if you can, to get the actual equipement to use that so they know what it look's like size wise etc. From reading your profile are you teaching younger students?

I've always found colour theory goes down well - 3 profiles making the 3 overlapping red/blue/green circles that you see in the text books. they can make hand shadows that make the secondary colours - that's always much easier to understand when you can wiggle your hands around and make cyan bit touch a magenta bit and so on. you can then reverse it with secondary gels making primaries. if you can get a bar nice and low, you can extend it by starting with an empty bar and getting them to rig and focus to mimic your drawing.

Archived