A book on mixing live sound

Gerry

Yes, I have done a search but the books on sound section seems a bit out of date.

Just got into mixing live sound.

Have played pre recorded sound in theatres for many years.

The group/ small choir I will be mixing for uses backing tracks and 3 or 4 microphones.

I know how to connect mikes/mixer/amp/speakers but need advice on whether, for example, its best to boost the part of the signal you want or cut the part you don't want?

Do I need reverb? How do I avoid "popping" ?, how do I reduce feedback? How do I position the mikes? etc etc.

So I'm looking for a book or an online source of reading material.

Cheers

Gerry

My initial thoughts when reading the title "a book on mixing sound" was that it was a bit like "a dance routine about how to fly an aeroplane".

The best tool for mixing sound is a pair of ears. :P

Apologies for being somewhat facetious: I do understand really! I'm sure a well-written book would give you some ideas to try out. Good luck in finding the right one.

I'm sure a well-written book would give you some ideas to try out. Good luck in finding the right one.

Without spending lots of money on lots of books, which one is the "right one" ?

Cheers

Gerry

Gerry; there are quite a few free sources on the web, particularly manufacturers sites such as the aforementioned Soundcraft one. Tutorials can be read at http://audio.tutsplus.com/category/tutorials/ and even Wikipedia has some interesting external links at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_sound_mixing.

Why pay when most of it is free? The specific questions you ask are all dependant on many other factors that only you and experience can answer. Oh, and unlike me, do read your mixers user manual, they tell me it helps.

JSB is right, play with the kit, rehearse with it and get the choirmaster to help get the sound they want. Unless the choristers are mic trained pros you will have more trouble with that one aspect than anything else technical. The challenges can however be real fun and very rewarding, just enjoy it.

Archived