Par Can Galore [Lighting design at a school]

OllieH

My school has asked me back to do a Summer Concert at the beginning of July. The show will consist of an orchestra, a choir, a vocalist, a cellist, a guitar ensemble and a brass quintet. However, due to the limited budget I've been given, the only real advancement I can make to the rig would be to throw up a few LED par cans. The other reason why this is a viable option, from the school's point of view, is that they can get LED Par 64s at £5/week as they hire them so frequently. But the discount stops at par cans, the hire firm isn't prepared to offer any variations of fixtures for a similar cost. So, with my budget, I can get about 8 LED par cans. Great.

The stage is only a small one, about 8m x 4m (maximum) and the rig currently consists of 10 CCT Minuettes (6 fresnels and 4 reflector profiles), 2 Multiprofiles and 2 ETC Source 4 Jnr Zooms. My question is, how would be best to fly these par cans in order to get the best effect? I don't want to hang 4 either side of the stage and find that 2 - 3 would have done the job, when I could have used some on the floor. So I've got two ideas in mind: I either put four either side of the stage and run four conventional Par 64s along the floor to uplight the acts, or I put two either side and have two upstage, either side, at mid-height (I would still have the conventional Par 64s to uplight). The second would give more dynamic to the appearance, naturally, but I'm concerned that it might mean a scarcity of light overall.

I basically want to get as many angles as possible, in order to make best use of what I've got.

Any views/criticisms/insults appreciated (I'm 16 but I won't bite your head off :) !)

To be honest,for the type of event I wouldn't bother with the leds,lots of light so they can read the music,couple of spots for the soloists,keep it out the muso's eyes as much as possible,and if there spare a couple of break ups in profiles from the back

To be honest,for the type of event I wouldn't bother with the leds,lots of light so they can read the music,couple of spots for the soloists,keep it out the muso's eyes as much as possible,and if there spare a couple of break ups in profiles from the back

Totally agree, except the Musical Director wants it more "rock and roll", to quote her words directly.

If you're lighting for an orchestra, then I'd be wary of angles and positions.

Take a look at this article if you haven't already; it's handily called "Lighting An Orchestra"!

That should give you a few tips about what angles you can use.

I hope that is of some assistance, and doesn't come across as patronising (which is not my intention!)

My question is, how would be best to fly these par cans in order to get the best effect? I don't want to hang 4 either side of the stage and find that 2 - 3 would have done the job,

It would be worthwhile finding out from the hire company what kind of lens angle the LED pars have. You'll approach this very differently with 15deg pars compared to 45!

IMO, why not light them in either o/w, or some light: pink/blue/straw dependant on what feel you want with your minuettes, Put some spots up for soloists, and then use some leds to light (if you have one) a cyc or back cloth. Then you can do all your chasey, coloury, flashy effects on the cyc, with also the musicians lit? To add, musicians like to see their music, so some light from above would be much appreciated. (We get complaints about this every concert! :))

I don't have a great deal of this kind of lighting but I would like to mention that theres an interesting bit of lighting on Bill Baileys latest DVD, he plays with an orchestra rather than just his normal one man band. Might be some tips you could pick up from that.

Do they have music stand lights? (or Rat Stands) If not, you're going to have to be very, very careful about angles and make sure there is enough open white light for them to read their music. If you can get hold of music stand lights, then things become a lot easier for you as you can do what you please without causing issues. I like themadhippy's idea of profiles with breakup gobos from the back - particularly if you have a hazer (and yes, that may open a whole other can of worms with singers - just tell them it's hypoallergenic fluid!).

Do they have music stand lights? (or Rat Stands) If not, you're going to have to be very, very careful about angles and make sure there is enough open white light for them to read their music. If you can get hold of music stand lights, then things become a lot easier for you as you can do what you please without causing issues. I like themadhippy's idea of profiles with breakup gobos from the back - particularly if you have a hazer (and yes, that may open a whole other can of worms with singers - just tell them it's hypoallergenic fluid!).

Sure, I'll see what I can do. My worry is that, if I have to flood the stage with white light, it will ruin any effect made by having lights at different angles. White light isn't a problem, I can achieve that. But obviously it's trying to balance the white with the colour, to create the best effect.

Par 64s along the floor to uplight the acts

Im not sure this is the way to go! not too bad for dance but for a music event it might just look odd?! and dont forget that musos are looking at music and aren't going to be too happy with parcans blinding them from a low angle.

why not use your 64s as pipe ends with a dark blue or some other coulor that only pars can realy make work?. Im with tom on the uplighting the cyc or any other scenic elements that get stuck on the stage. this way when you have a solo down stage in a spot you can leave the band in a nice dim blue and make the cyc look lovely with leds!.

Pete

With real musicians, I try not to light them at all, apart from enough light to see, and concentrate on lighting the spaces around them - uplighters on drapes and timps - colours on organ pipes in bigger churches and cathedrals, lots of light on any metalic/reflective instruments like tubular bells, glocks etc, and same again of there is a conventional drum kit with cymbals. If you want ideas see if you can find any Sky videos - skys as in the musicians, not the satellite mob.

For "Rock and Roll" lighting your teacher is probably meaning visible beams of light. A hazer (As GridGirl suggests) is going to be pretty important in this case.

Side lighting with Par's looks very good indeed. We're currently doing We Will Rock You and the LD has an IWB of 6 Par's flown vertically from the grid in each wing entrance, just above head height. These beams crossing the stage look very good indeed!

Backlighting is also very effective for not much money. With decent haze you can really use backlight to change the whole atmosphere of the stage. Wind them in for the nice surging end to the song and it can look really good. No need for movers!

Definately put from your mind any uplighting on the muso's. Bear in mind they will be looking down at their music, a beam coming up from the floor will mean that some poor sod has to stare directly into your light beam when looking at their music. And there will be tantrums.

Archived