Inkjet Printers

OK, so inkjet printers then.

When you turn them on they go on and on with their warming up process chucking out the wierdest selection of noises. Some of them chuck the carriage out of its hiding place then send it back in again. They all whir, buzz, clunk etc. etc. etc.

What on earth are they doing?

Seems to me that all they've got to do is warm up the ink, pull some into the head and check there's paper in the tray. What's so noisy about that?

Does anyone really know? Or would anyone like to speculate?

:** laughs out loud **: :rolleyes:

well, first things I do when I get to the office - take my coat off, move the paper around my desk, turn the computer on, say hello to everyone, turn the kettle on for that "get me going" cup of coffee, say hello to some more people, make the coffee, then think about getting down to some work.

perhaps that's what the printers are doing.....

OK, so inkjet printers then.

When you turn them on they go on and on with their warming up process chucking out the wierdest selection of noises.  Some of them chuck the carriage out of its hiding place then send it back in again.  They all whir, buzz, clunk etc. etc. etc.

What on earth are they doing?

Seems to me that all they've got to do is warm up the ink, pull some into the head and check there's paper in the tray.  What's so noisy about that?

Does anyone really know?  Or would anyone like to speculate?

:** laughs out loud **:  :rolleyes:

As far as I am aware, they are performing their own POST. Not only does this including charging the print heads with ink, it involves moving every single part of the printer to check the sensors, motors and other such gizmos are working e.g. "chucking the carriage" enables the printer to determine if the path of the carriage is free, that the motors are working properly, that the sensor on the other end of the path is detecting the carriage and so forth. You will probably also notice this happen if the printer has been left for a long time and you then try and print something.

can see this going into the 'Pet Hates' topic.... but why must the companies charge so much for ink cartridges? (rhetorical question).

And why do I not believe the printer when it tells me that a cartridge has 'run out'? Why is it that I think theres still at least another 15 pages worth of ink in it?

Does anyone know if there's any kind of software thing that lets me get the last out of the cartridges (on my Epson C82?). I read somewhere theres a chip or something you can get that resets the cartridge into believing theres more ink in.

According to the manual, my Epson is cleaning the ink jet nozzles... [snip]

Bob

Yeah, that's another thing! Why does it make so much noise just cleaning the heads when you specifically ask it to do so? I can clean my car in silence. I make a bit of noise splashing around in the bath, but some printers make such a meal of things!

Does anyone know if there's any kind of software thing that lets me get the last out of the cartridges

dont know if works on the chipped models,but on my elderly epson I just take the so called empty cartridge out and then reinsert it,works fine for another few weeks

Does anyone know if there's any kind of software thing that lets me get the last out of the cartridges

dont know if works on the chipped models,but on my elderly epson I just take the so called empty cartridge out and then reinsert it,works fine for another few weeks

Yes I have a copy of some software, not only will it reset or freeze the ink counter.

But it can reset the ink protection counter ( the cause of the call epson service error) Pm me if you want a copy.

Archived