Static from Wig

Lamplighter

Has anyone had problems with a headworn microphone suffering static from a wig. Think big blonde wig as in Audrey, Little Shop of Horrors with a head worn mic and none metallic (Trantec 4.4) beltpack. Any solutions or recommendations, preferably based on real experience.

Brian

Has anyone had problems with a headworn microphone suffering static from a wig. Think big blonde wig as in Audrey, Little Shop of Horrors with a head worn mic and none metallic (Trantec 4.4) beltpack. Any solutions or recommendations, preferably based on real experience.

Brian

Do you mean actual RF interference from the wig having a potential due to rubbing against other stuff or do you mean mechanical noise due to the mic itself rubbing against the wig?

I presume you've tested that the problem goes away if you remove the wig?

I have had a similar problem but it turned out not to be static, it was the wig rubbing/catching the wire support of the headset and transmitting mechanical noise into the capsule, also had the same thing with ear rings!

I had this one once. We never cured it totally but made things a lot better with a few things.

First, we sprayed the wig with the sort of anti-static spray that you would use on nylon carpets etc. We checked to make sure that the spray we got (I think it came from RS but it was a lot of years ago) didn't harm the wig--it seemed fine.

Second, we changed from a hairline mount to over the ear. In our case, this moved the mic capsule a bit farther from the wig but whether this helps you will depend on the shape of your hairpiece.

Third, it became a bit of a game for stage crew to touch the wig just before the actress made entrances to try and discharge any build up. I'm sceptical this actually did anything--but the stage crew had fun!

Bob

Thanks chaps, in this instance the mic is an over ear, but clear of the wig itself. I had suggested the addition of a piece of tape to hold the mic close to the skin on the basis of keeping the mic near body potential and hopefully allowing static build up to release elsewhere. This was relatively successful though I could hear the occasional crack of discharge. I will also pass on the tip of using anti static fluid. I had also pondered attaching an " earth wire" to the body pack audio connector and taping it to skin to keep the whole system at body potential. Needless to say this raised a few eyebrows ( figuratively)

Brian

How sure are you that it's static?

Have you proven this by (for example) combing through the wig to generate the static and then moving the mic closer to the hair?

I only ask because the occasional 'crack' on a mic caused by a poor connection (bad soldered joint or partially broken cable) can sound as if you're getting a static charge.

Befoe looking at more 'exotic' causes, I'd be sure to rule out the more mundane.

Apologies if that sounds like telling you to suck eggs, but I'm a firm fan of the 'start with the obvious' approach.

Its been a long long time since I encountered static affecting a mic capsule. At the risk of being totally obvious, I assume you've eliminated all the far more likely options? Sweat in the connector, bad termination, Ariel shorting to skin, frequency issues, faulty capsule, faulty transmitter, physical noise of the actual wig, mic brushing skin etc etc?

• 1 month later...
I'd be really interested to know what the outcome is if you work it out.

Just to round this off. I finally caught up with the chap running the sound. Regrettably the problem was unresolved, mainly due to other pressures. Thanks again for all your thoughts.

Brian

Archived