Sound for a Fete

Tom Lovick

Hi Guys,

First time poster, long time reader.

I have been asked to do the sound for a fete in London in a few weekends and when I went to have a look at the venue I noticed a balcony. I have emailed the owner to ask if we can use it and he has replied to say yes, but he is out. so I really want to use this balcony to put a couple of speakers on and don't know how to get them up there now.

How would you guys do it? would you use a ladder? the church that the fete is for has an access tower but it is only 1/2 a metre wide on the platform....

Thanks guys I'm sure you will give a good response.

Tom

Er, a balcony normally has access from the "inside" - though without knowing a little more, it's hard to know the context.

Otherwise, you need to assess whether you can safely get the speakers up using the ladder - depending on your speakers, you may decide that you can't.

And, once up there, ensure that the speakers, and any cabling running to them are secured safely. You wouldn't want someone to trip over badly located cable and then pull heavy speakers down from above.

Nobody can give much help without knowing more information. A couple of speakers; small 100V horns or 15" cabs? 3m off the ground or 20m off the ground?

Sounds to me like you need to arrange putting the speakers in whilst conventional access is available, it may save you time.

We normally just use speakers on normal stands for our fete, get the stands as high as possible, we use Proel stands and they do go up reasonably high (That is for the announcement PA) Band PA speakers on either side of stage.

Other options:

use lighting stands which go up higher.

Use the access tower.

Have large plastic bin liners on standby to cover loudspeakers in case of rain.

Use close protection earth leakage breakers on any mains supplies ESPECIALLY to back line gear and check them.

I always use a Martindale socket tester (There are better ones now) to check all power sockets very basic I know but it did show the house we were pulling power from had no earth on their sockets.

Enquire whether organisers have Public Liability Insurance.

Hav e good day!!

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies so far.

We are using 15" speakers, Behringer B215A and Intimidation AKA115 speakers.

We cannot access it from inside as the owner will be away. Does anyone have any suggestions for taking speakers up a ladder?

Bazz339, I already have PLI so that is not a problem and I've already got bin bags! learnt that at school while doing a sound system for a sports day!

Thanks,

Tom

Ask the owner very nicely to borrow the keys? or let a friend/neighbour have the keys... and borrow from them?

will obviously depend on the environment / relations.

Already done that!

Do you have any suggestions for using a ladder? like how to get speakers up a ladder!?!

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B215A.aspx These are the speakers going on the roof they have got some nice hand grips on the side.

I wouldn't want to try taking a 15" speaker up a ladder, I have enough bother trying to lift them onto speaker stands.

Don't forget that once you've got them up the ladder, you will then have to lower them down over the edge of the balcony. From the spec I see that they weigh nearly 20KG. Also I guess you know the Behringer B215A's are active and so require mains at the speaker?

David

I played at a gig recently with a balcony. The Sound system was located on the ground floor using some floor stacks. It still gave good coverage to the balcony.

+1 for the Lighting stands

However, If you've only got access to speaker tripods you could even raise them up more by placing them on stage to get better projection to the balcony.

Archived