Yamaha LS9/M7CL and Ipad...

djsky

Hi all, I'm looking at getting an LS9 or M7CL set up and being able to control it wirelessly, preferably over an iPad.

I have seen there are several apps that can do Mackie control protocol over midi, but I'm a little bemused whether the yamaha will support this feature.

AC 7 pro, or iTouchMidi MCU also looks like the things I want.

Basically, I want a BASIC user interface, no more than 8 faders, labelled, mutes, and maybe feedback on levels, to control just 8 channels on the LS9/M7CL.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Well the guy on the who just tried to sell me an LS9 at the ABTT show claimed there would shortly be an iPhone app, which I presume would mean there would be an iPad one as well?

T

every time I hear someone want to lock themselves into a walled garden, I die a little. lets just see some cross platform java apps and the required compatibility, please? make it easy for everyone, no matter what platform they run.

You could always VNC to a real computer running studio manager.

What's studio manager? is that the Yamaha supplied software? if so, from what I've heard, it's not cusomizeable, so wouldn't suit me.

every time I hear someone want to lock themselves into a walled garden, I die a little. lets just see some cross platform java apps and the required compatibility, please? make it easy for everyone, no matter what platform they run.

Just so long as no-one uses Flash ;) seeing as how Apple are trying to make it illegal :unsure:

Don't reinvent the wheel. Just run StudioManager on a connected PC or Mac, and remote the computer with your iPad. You can download StudioManager to see how it works - it's pretty good (though not as slick as the software for the StudioLive).

Don't reinvent the wheel. Just run StudioManager on a connected PC or Mac, and remote the computer with your iPad. You can download StudioManager to see how it works - it's pretty good (though not as slick as the software for the StudioLive).

This is exactly the way to go, leave your laptop connected to the kit, and then VNC. Exactly the same way I work in any remote applications. Plenty of good VNC software for the iPad.

Cheers

Chris

Isn't there some issue with running studio manager directly over wireless? Something to do with a dropped connection resetting the desk.

I remember Yamaha recommending having a hardwired PC running studio manager and then wirelessly VNC-ing into that machine.

Isn't there some issue with running studio manager directly over wireless? Something to do with a dropped connection resetting the desk.

I remember Yamaha recommending having a hardwired PC running studio manager and then wirelessly VNC-ing into that machine.

I don't think it resets the console, but I think you have to close then re-open StudioManager, and then re-sync to the console, which takes a minute or two. I'll try to remember to test that out the next time I'm at the theater (LS9).

M7CL --> Router --wifi--> Laptop running studio manager

I use this setup quite extensively and never had a single problem with it. doesnt reset the desk, just make sure if you have to resync, that you do it the right way round!!!!

D

Archived