Active PA recomendations....

dtscape

Hi guys,

We are a 5 piece band with big synths, fully miked kit, 2x miked guitars, di'd bass and 4 vocals. We mainly play upto around 300 people at reasonable sized venues(pubs/clubs etc.) We are looking to purchase a nice, not too heavy, active pa (currently use passive speakers and amps etc.) Can any one recommend a good system, 2 tops and 2 subs ideally, that will deliver a nice big rock sound that is not too heavy and not too expensive either (new or second hand, but around £2500 for just the speakers).

Cheers;-)

I was talking to a friend who is a drummer in a band with a very similar set up to yours who have just purchased a KV2 system which sounded fantastic! I was going to suggest it for you but then I saw your budget so that ones out.

Ive heard the HK Elias used before and sounded nice but really your going to have to go and have a listen to a few.

Can any one recommend a good system, 2 tops and 2 subs ideally, that will deliver a nice big rock sound that is not too heavy and not too expensive either

Cheers;-)

You'll find lots of similar enquiries (like this one) if you use the search facility, but to start you off:

With those criteria, I would think a system with 10" or 12" tops and 15" subs is a good starting point. RCF, dB Technologies, HK Audio and QSC are among the manufacturers that get recommended often.

You really need to audition the system before making a final decision, but at your budget you could look at:

RCF ART 710A / ART 705-AS

dB Technologies Opera 602D / SUB 15D

QSC K10 / K SUB

And the HK Elias mentioned above.

lots of options second hand, including the HK Audio Actor (a well used Actor system sold on ebay yesterday for £1000), JBL PRX series, Turbosound, KV2 and many more...

I've mixed on Fohhn on a week long Jazz/Blues/Funk festival and I must say that I am very impressed. I know of 2 companies here who swear by it for small to medium stuff. It's light, simple to setup, loud and nicely voiced straight out of the box. The DSP is fully configurable and easy to navigate and if it weren't for the price of a system £6000 for the one I mixed on.

I'd recommend the Opera D as the next best thing however (from the 45 mins I spent mixing one band on it) and 2x 602D and a Sub15D or 2 should do you nicely.

Josh

• 7 months later...

my friend was just about to go and buy a set of qsc k12's and I suggested he listened to the rcf 712's as imo they should sound better well all I can say is they had no 712a's in stock so we ab'd the k12 vs the tiny 710a's which I suggested would also sound better we also ab'd them against the srm450's he currently has and lets just say those little rcf's killed the lot and they were priced exacly the same as the k12's are much smaller and the pair can be easily carried together lets just say he left with the rcf and not the qsc he planned on leaving with. imo rcf are light years ahead of all bar proly the much higher priced martin audio gear but dont take my word for it go and ab them for yourself they are bassier than the larger k12 much cleaner sounding through all the frequency ranges where I found the qsc and mackies when pushed started crapping out in certain frequency zones and sounding mushy given my friend the choice it was a no brainer!!! and tbh I expected them to be better but still couldnt believe my ears when I heared how much better the smaller less powerful rcf were compared to the qsc as with the rcf having the smaller less powerful driver I expected them to be pretty evenly matched and only having size and weight on their side but were louder and better sounding as well RCF ROCKS!!!

So what you're suggesting is that there is some fixed population of apostrophes and they just get relocated as necessary?

Seems fair enough - it certainly used to work with road holes and metal plates in New York City...

With my diplomatic hat on...

Hi Craig, and welcome to the Blue Room. As you may have noticed, you've had a bit of a rough time over your punctuation and general style of your first post. This is something that we hold to be a bit sacred here; whilst I'm sure your post had some interesting and useful points in it, it was rather lost in the muddle of unpunctuated text. Writing that way around here is likely to either get any points that you may have completely lost and therefore ignored, or even end up with you being labelled as one of the 15 year-old "Managing Directors of production companies" that we see an awful lot, rather than the 34 year old that Google assures me that you are in real life.

Archived