Is there anyway of powering fair light of a dimmer and wiring a 15 amp

Breakwave

Is there anyway of powering fairy lights of a dimmer and wiring a 15 amp socket ?

Moderation:

We suspect the question should be this ...

Is there anyway of powering fairy lights from a dimmer and connecting to a 15 amp socket ?

I think you're asking if it's OK to stick a 15A plug onto some fairy lights and to plug them into a dimmer.

The answer is yes as along as they are filament lamps. LEDs will not work. If it's a short length then you may need to put a 'ghost' light or dummy load on the same channel.

Not entirely sure I understand the second half of your question .... but yes, you can power some fairy lights off a dimmer... make sure they're traditional mains incandescent (i.e. not LED!) fairy lights and don't have any sort of electronic controller and you should be just fine (I've used them in set pieces many times)

As for the wiring of a 15 amp socket.... well there's one way of wiring one but im not sure I understand the question :** laughs out loud **:

I will point out at this moment that technically you should use these with a 15A - 13A adaptor.

This will ensure that the mains cable is protected by the 3A fuse in the plugtop.

The 10A fuse that most dimmers are protected by will not trip in sufficient time for the (often very small) cable that runs through fairy lights. I would be particularly concerned based upon the manufacturing techniques from many of the cheap imported fairy lights on the market.

IMO: Birdie transformers should technically also be used in this way however this is a very infrequent practice.

Dom

Archived