HMI300 vs HTI300 - CP MiniScan HPE

Aaron-Hill07

Morning guys & girls,

I have one of my lamps which has gone in my Clay Paky Mini Scan HPE's so I'm looking to replace it and get a spare or two.. The only issue I have is that the HTI 300's that the MiniScans take are over £100 in some places so it's going to be a very expensive lamp replacement.

Now, I was looking at the HMI300s which I can get cheaper with Xenpow lamps which in the past have lasted me fine with other types such as their A1/259 lamps.

So, would it be safe to use a HMI instead of a HTI?

Thanks,

Aaron

I hired a pair of the HPE's and found the HMI lamps were pretty crap in a our 162 seat auditorium .We found compared to a few selecon 575 fresnels that were on in the same scene you just couldn't see them . They literally went invisible ! So brightness of the HMI lamps are not brilliant , tho I haven't seen the other lamps so I wouldn't be able to help there .

From what I've read, the HMI is 100v and the HTI is 95v. I don't know how this difference would effect the ballast in the HPEs. In the past I've found it cheaper to get HTI300 lamps from abroad. I've also used KDE300 lamps in these which were cheaper.

Steve, thanks for the reply.

That was the only issue, I need to check the ballasts later on today to see the detail of it. The last thing I want to do is wipe out the ballast by overloading it etc. However, If the ballast can happily take over 100v then I think I may buy one and give it a go. I know the other main difference between lamps is the fact that the HMIs are slightly longer in physical size however with the lamp-holder on the MiniScans I'm pretty sure I can adjust it by the 4mm difference so it can hold the lamp securely.

I will check over the ballast and the lamp specification later and see if I can make ends meet.

Thanks for the replies so far,

Keep the advice/help coming!

A.

Surely when purchasing this kind of fixture you are aware that there are overheads such as lamp costs...

I would rather pay the money and have our fixtures working as opposed to trying to bodge another lamp into it.

Yep, I did look into the lamp situation and at the time I could get hold of cheaper lamps again made by Xenpow.. they were about £45 each I believe which would be fine however the £100+ is not doable for me. Hence why I was asking about the possibility of using the HMI's.

do NOT use a 300w HMI lamp in the miniscan. As well as the already noted voltage differences, the arc lengh is also different, so your optics will be out.

Most of the chinese 300w hmi type lamps are also longer than the osram 300w hti/de.

The use of cheap xenpow or other generic lamps is in my view very ill advised. As has been said already, put the proper lamp in the fitxture.

Ive already told this story on another thread, and ill keep it very brief

A client of mine decided to take my advice and re-lamp a number of mac300 fixtures that I had just serviced. Rather than me supplying phillips lamps, they went off and bought their own. On ebay. For £20 each - yes you guessed it, xenpow msd250/2's.

A week later, I had most of the re-lamped heads back to remove all the broken glass. money not well spent.

Finally, take a look at sabre international over in reading for the lamps - their website is saying £66 net each for the proper osram lamp, thats where I buy most of my lamps.

£100 for one of those lamps is far too much .. I relamped a few Stage Light 300s (same lamp I believe HTI300/DX) in a client's venue few months back and charged them about £65 per lamp (and still made a little on that :unsure:)

I wouldn't touch Xenpow lamps - I've seen the damage they've done to fixtures (or rather, I've had to clear the glass out them ;))

Archived