Mac 250s

uglyfish

My old school has movers in; I installed a load of scrollers when I was in my last year there with some new dimmers and DMX distro, as well as a new (simple) board - Jester ML 24. A year later they bought 2 Movers, Studio spot 250s from HES. This year they have just bought 32 LED pars, 4 Mac 500s and 2 Mac 600s. The tech there knows how to program them and what he wants to use them for. Time generally isn’t much of an issue as the performing arts dept understand that the lighting has to be programmed and they give music to the tech well in advance and have plenty of rehearsals to make sure things run smoothly.

I installed the scrollers etc, then the two 250s went up no problems without my assistance, but then this last load prompted some extra assistance, so they call me in. I do 2 days work in the school, getting everything up, addressed and working with the tech. I also make sure he knows how to address and perform some basic troubleshooting. I go in once every 6 months to give the movers a clean and do any required maintenance. The students and teachers see me as an ex-student, whilst the perf arts dept and management see me as a trained ML tech who keeps their rig operational so their shows do not suffer. There is only one perf arts tech and he is full time. The school is not a perf arts college. I cant really escape them calling, after all they know too well I spent a week at Martin learning how to service the Mac range as I took a week out of school for it. At least they can see it has benefitted not only me, by them too.

Whilst putting the movers in wasn’t my idea, I make sure they run smoothly and are not ripped off on prices for parts/servicing (Not that they have needed any parts so far!)

If you had the correct training from Martin, maybe you could persuade the school to give you a day or two paid work every year to service the movers etc. I mean the new Mac 250 range isn’t exactly hard to service. It’s all modular; it’s the older models that can be a pain.

Thanks,

I didn't realise this would get everyone so angry. I'm sorry.

Thanks for all your help, and sorry again, it seemed to spark some anger!

The anger is not directed at you, and you should not need to feel sorry for anything you have posted so far.

I assume most of the anger is based around Local Authorities using Taxpayers money to purchase products that they are incapable of operating, have no knowlege regarding servicing, and just store them in a cupboard when they can't work out how to fix them.

Or rely on 'ex' children to bail them out of the sh1t.

Off topic, but at a recent lighting job I did for a Church....... The Venue (unrelated to the hirer) GAVE ME 4x Strand Coda 4 cell, and 2x Strand SL Profiles as 'they had no use for them'

Technically Taxpayers money thrown away, as they were in immaculate condition, and had a serious second-hand value.

TomHoward - The technician has left I think, and hasn't been replaced so far. I think, I'm not sure.

Joe Bleasdale - I'm not too sure if the school would really want me to come back after I drop the price on them, but Martin training would be so useful if they did want me to stay in touch - when you say you spent a week at Martin (sorry for how naive this will sound) - Martin's actual factory in Denmark, or the place in Lincoln? Or is there somewhere in Liverpool that would train me?

lightsource - thanks for that, I felt like I'd got off on the wrong foot with everyone!

Martin have their UK base in Maidstone, Kent but they do travel around alot for training courses, I think they go up to a place in Manchester regularly to do it so thats not too far away from you.

Jon

Joe Bleasdale - I'm not too sure if the school would really want me to come back after I drop the price on them, but Martin training would be so useful if they did want me to stay in touch - when you say you spent a week at Martin (sorry for how naive this will sound) - Martin's actual factory in Denmark, or the place in Lincoln? Or is there somewhere in Liverpool that would train me?

Their base was in Maidstone at the time, so I stayed in a hotel for a week there whilst I did training every day. Now they do more training around the country though, give them a call and enquire.

Martin have their UK base in Maidstone, Kent but they do travel around alot for training courses, I think they go up to a place in Manchester regularly to do it so thats not too far away from you.

Jon,

Their offices are now in London and Lincoln. They do not have the Maidstone facility anymore after the restructure which was a good few months ago now.

Thanks,

Archived