Computer switching - How to?

Hi all,

I think it's been asked before, but Im not sure what it's actually called.

Imagine a normal computer, with some kind of software/hardware/interface that enables me to click a button on the software that will switch on a 12v light for example whilst another button may switch on a 12v pump and another button will switch on a 12v socket etc.

In our world it would get used say, click the button on the screen for opening the tabs, another for closing them, or a button that switches on the worker lights on stage via some interface.

What am I looking for?

(Im running 12v)

Were on the right lines here.

I like the interface of the second idea (Changing the numbers to words), however the first one is a little confusing.

I just want to press a button, the computer tells the PCB to turn on a circuit that kicks out 12v.

Help!

Henny's one looks pretty good. Alternatively you could do something with an Arduino being driven by a PC if you want a bit more cleverness in the driver board. It has a few more outputs, but you'd need to add the relays yourself. However with some fairly simple programming it will do lots of cleverer things, perhaps driving the workers via DMX or running the tabs open for a certain amount of time/until an endstop is reached.

if its got a proper parallel port, low power read relays straight from the port and the old lptout command

That takes me back a few years. Happy memories of building 'robots' that run off the parallel port. :blink:

Ive used the Arduino for quite some time, if you use a 5v relay you can easily get the 12v source you need. With the Arduino Duemilanove ive attached an ethernet shield which allowed me to control outputs and read sensor data over a network just using a web browser which is very useful indeed. (You can even get a DMX shield)

Rory

Dodgecaliber

used one of the Arcom (Eurotech) PCI interface cards (together with an anolog output one to control house lighting) in a Conference area which is very similar in function to what I think you are asking about.

RS stock one which has 8 relay outs and 8 digital in's so you can also have limit switch feedback and/or a display of what is 'where' etc.....

Have a look at:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchB...amp;cm_vc=av_uk

wider range of products from RS listed at:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchB...ards#breadCrumb

hope this assists

Mik

Archived