Effective 'Fire-in-Bin'

Luke

Hello. I have recently been appointed the part of Sweet in Buffy: Once More with Feeling, the stage version, with my local amdram group. I am also self-appointed technical-advisor, so yeah. At one point, Buffy sings a song called, 'Walk Through the Fire'. In the film, there is an oil-barrel with fire blazing as Buffy sings. I thought it might be quite nice to implement this into stage use, but with the complications of using real fire, I thought of an artificial way of doing this. A small profile could be inserted into a metal bin, pointing at a 45 degree angle towards the side (to get an even reflection). To add more effect, somehow a flicker could be added to this. Somehow, a smoke machine (preferrably DMX-controlled) could be inserted into the bin also. This way, both items could be controlled via DMX. Now, this is the costly way, in theory. I have yet another, slightly cheaper plan that I would like input on.. if I were to stick one of those flicker-candle bulbs in the bin, with some sort of smoke making machine (like a smoke machine, but I would like to keep cabling to a minimum) and then just turn on and off the light at God's will. I think its just generating the smoke which could be a pain, unless I can get a small enough smoke machine (I currently have a huge JEM Club 20 in my possession.. don't think THAT'LL fit in a metal bin, eh?) Any input is welcomed.

On your budget idea, the only flicker candle lamps I know of are those used in public house decorations (thats where I served my apprenticeship then) and are woefully woefully inadequate as a giver of light. The profile idea is good, but as lightnix has said, loads of fire ideas are in the thread they link to, and are all good ones.

Like my second post there says, blown silk looks good, and fooled me, someone who works alongside fire effects of multiple types on a daily basis.

Are these sort of questions and requests to tech depts. regular or are the directors thinking of the poor cold cast and crew and trying to help out as winter draws near?

There are some interesting little 12volt mini foggers and some 12 volt red blue and amber dichroic lamps and in the 12 volt topics here there are remotes for controlling dc dimming by radio so some colour smoke and silk, all anchored to a suitable battery and you have a brazier that wont burn the crew's hands.

A really cheap and easy fire effect can be made using 3 coloured pigmy bulbs and a couple of florescent starters. Have one of the bulbs linked straight to the supply so that it is permanently on the other two wire up so that the starters are in series with the bulbs. The starters will then make the bulbs flicker on and off rapidly creating a flame flickering. There is enough light output to light the face of someone looking into the fire and light the inside of your burning bin.

The other advantage is that it is dimmable but you do have to fade it up quite a bit to get the flickering to start.

Just make sure that you earth your bin somehow, just in case!! ;)

Archived