STAIRVILLE MH-X25 LED SPOT

jamesamd4800

Hi all I'm James (New to the forum),

So I have been browsing the thomann store today and noticed these:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/american_dj_mydmx_bundle.htm

They are 25 watts which is about the same as a HTI 150 lamp.

Can you please tell me what you guys (and girls) think of these lights, and if this is a good deal? (it's from thomann, so of course it is) but you know what I mean :huh:

Many Thanks,

James

Ah yes, I'm sure this is a rebadge Showtec Giant moving head.

For the market they are suited, they are probably nice little fixtures. They don't look exactly robust though.

Check out this moving light - it's LED source is 20W more....

http://www.thomann.de/gb/varytec_easymove_xl_60_led_spot.htm

Both don't have a rotating prism though, which you'll find on the Showtec Indigo 150....

http://www.thomann.de/gb/showtec_indigo_150_led.htm

If you want a brighter beast, then check out Showtec's Indigo 4500 or Varytec's easymove 60 LED head.

Like I say though, these lights are great for DJ's, small clubs and even small corporate events. The main problem with lower LED powered fixtures is really the output. Videos make the output look amaizing but in reality it can be pretty poor.

Forgot to add that another thing you find with LED sourced DJ moving lights is that the beam angle is quite tight, which tries to help with the brightness of the output.

Ah yes, I'm sure this is a rebadge Showtec Giant moving head.

For the market they are suited, they are probably nice little fixtures. They don't look exactly robust though.

Check out this moving light - it's LED source is 20W more....

http://www.thomann.de/gb/varytec_easymove_xl_60_led_spot.htm

Both don't have a rotating prism though, which you'll find on the Showtec Indigo 150....

http://www.thomann.de/gb/showtec_indigo_150_led.htm

If you want a brighter beast, then check out Showtec's Indigo 4500 or Varytec's easymove 60 LED head.

Like I say though, these lights are great for DJ's, small clubs and even small corporate events. The main problem with lower LED powered fixtures is really the output. Videos make the output look amaizing but in reality it can be pretty poor.

Forgot to add that another thing you find with LED sourced DJ moving lights is that the beam angle is quite tight, which tries to help with the brightness of the output.

Hi Jamtastic3,

Thanks for your very detailed reply! I like the lighting bundle as it is complete with DMX usb etc, but basically what I'm after is a good moving head, I currently own isolution's 5S spot. Obviously they are good but lack things like a dimmer and rotating gobo's (I love rotating gobo's :huh:).

I am 14 so my budget isn't great but I am saving my money! if you could get back to me with some advice or links that would be great, I have been looking at these Robe 150xt's: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT the seller will do 2 of these for £500, but the great thing about LED's is the life of the units.

Many Thanks,

James

LED does has positive reasons why a LED fixture could be better, but it all depends on what the lights will be used for, where they will be used and how much maintenance you can keep up with them.

The Robe units are nice fixtures and are made by a very good company - a company that you'll be able to get spare parts for fairly easy.

In terms of light output, the Robe 150XT will beat the output of the 20W LED fixtures - the light will be stronger due to optics and the lamp itself.

If you're doing one off discos or having these lights used on a rare occasion, I'd go with the Robe's but like I say, it depends on the circumstances. You're young and may just want some disco lighting for your bedroom. In that case, I'd go with the LED units.

I mean, you could get a couple of Mac 250 Krypton's but you could also get 10 x 20W cheap LED heads instead. What would you go for? Well that depends on what you want from a fixture and what they'd be used for.....

LED does has positive reasons why a LED fixture could be better, but it all depends on what the lights will be used for, where they will be used and how much maintenance you can keep up with them.

The Robe units are nice fixtures and are made by a very good company - a company that you'll be able to get spare parts for fairly easy.

In terms of light output, the Robe 150XT will beat the output of the 20W LED fixtures - the light will be stronger due to optics and the lamp itself.

If you're doing one off discos or having these lights used on a rare occasion, I'd go with the Robe's but like I say, it depends on the circumstances. You're young and may just want some disco lighting for your bedroom. In that case, I'd go with the LED units.

I mean, you could get a couple of Mac 250 Krypton's but you could also get 10 x 20W cheap LED heads instead. What would you go for? Well that depends on what you want from a fixture and what they'd be used for.....

Hi,

thanks for your reply I really appreciate it, I agree with the maintenance of LED's, now the thing is I dont just use them in my bedroom :P.

I am part of my college's technical crew and I think it would be great to use it there, and while not in use I was thinking if I do go for the more expensive one's I could always hire them out while not in use, we dont do much shows a year but I also do some parties and in the back garden is always fun (with smoke of course :D!)

So would you reccomend saving for the robe 150xt's or just keep saving and saving and maybe try get some martin mac 250's? Ino they are expensive but in the long run you get what you pay for, right?

Many thanks, your advice and quick replies are always appreciated!

James

Paulears has a point if your college has the budget.

I think if you're going for a cheap unit in a college situation, I would be looking at something that has a dimmer, rotating gobos and has a prism. But it needs to be fairly bright IMO (40w or 60w fixtures)

Paulears has a point if your college has the budget.

I think if you're going for a cheap unit in a college situation, I would be looking at something that has a dimmer, rotating gobos and has a prism. But it needs to be fairly bright IMO (40w or 60w fixtures)

Hi again, basically the college pays a ex pupil next to nothing, but we enjoy doing the shows, I am not looking to get the school to buy it as they wont. But just saying that I would probally take these in once in a while, but use them more for me.

Archived