Script Layout

richard_cooper

I have to get a script printed for an upcoming show. The script has come to me as a huge collection of word files (all differently laid out), hand written pages, and even an excel file! I have no problem getting it ready for printing as I've produced a couple of books and large sales catalogues before.

Are there any standards for the layout of the script, along the lines of fonts, sizes, indentation, etc for the different elements of the script. Does anyone know of a simple online guide?

Also as I am having this printed what do people favour in the way of binding. I am leaning towards providing them in ring binders, but I'm not sure.

Many Thanks

The industry-standard for television scripts is Courier New, size 8. This approximately equals a page = a minute. So, 15 pages of text is 15 minutes, approx. For stage, its somewhat different though. Character names go in CAPS, Stage directions go in italics and the scene is described at the start of the scene in italics.

For the SM and production teams copies, 12-point Times New Roman with 1.5 line spacing is probably around the best.

It's large enough to be easy to read in low light, and enough gaps to add your various arrows etc.

For the cast, they'll probably want it squashed in tighter and a bit smaller - but I'd stick to a serif font as it's easier to read.

The TV standard will probably be because Courier New is what manual typewriters produced, so it's what the old hands were used to!

Just to add my 2ps worth,

I wouldn't recommend Times New Roman for the SM team, you would do better to use a sans serif font like Arial. Times New Roman is not as clear as you think where large pieces of printed text are concerned. For the cast I would not cramp up the text too much as they also like to have space to make notes especially "character intention and movement"!!

The RNIB recommend Arial size 14, as this is a good standard for EVERYONE! This may be a bit big if its a large script but just thought its a useful guide.

Ring binders are fine but can become quite cumbersome in a rehearsal, maybe think about comb binders?

I would advise against issuing differently formatted scripts to different departments - especially the DSM. If everybody's scripts have different page breaks the instruction "cut the first three lines on page 5" or "that LX cue comes half way down page 47" can become very confusing.

As to binding - however you do it somebody will want it done differently. It's not unusual for scripts to just be stapled and everybody sorts themselves out as they please. Ring binding is fine if that's easy for you to do and will be a pleasant surprise for those who like it that way. (Your DSM may wish to reverse the layout of theirs though so may prefer a virgin copy - check with them first).

Agree with the DSM having same page numbers as everyone else, but is v.useful to have large (1.5 - 2" if poss) margin at the LHS for writing in Q's, so don't have to put them on the opposite page.

As DSM, I also prefer a ring binder to spiral bound and being right-handed, 'reverse' my scripts / pages so have text on LHS & blank on RHS (but check the preferences of your DSM!)

I agree with Tom - give everybody the same. I wouldn't even bother to staple them - seperate each copy in one of those see-through plastic envelopes, and let each person sort it out as they prefer. The important thing is that everyone has the same reference points - scene numbers, page numbers, line numbers etc. As for format, there seem to be any number of variations - my preference is for character name on the left margin, text tabbed in to about a third of the way accross the page. But as I don't write the scripts, I've got used to dealing with however they come! - I'm not about to start re-typing just because the layout doesn't quite suit. I am however against writing cues on the same page as the text, as I like to keep the printed text as clutter-free as possible, and I'm not by inclination the neatest of people!

Agree with the DSM having same page numbers as everyone else, but is v.useful to have large (1.5  - 2" if poss) margin at the LHS for writing in Q's,  so don't have to put them on the opposite page.

2" is enough for some people but others prefer at least 6".

Using the margins for cues, in other words, only works if you're just cueing lights. You're gonna need a lot more space if you've got a combination of follow spot cues, stage cues, fly cues, stage LX cues, AV cues, FX cues, backstage calls, etc. etc. etc. The traditional blank page opposite is best when cueing more than just one person.

Archived