load testing winched electrics bars annually?

chrismca09

Is there a specific requirement under LOLER Regulations to get winches and Electrics bars load tested annually, they already have a SWL & get inspected annually, is there a regulation under LOLER to get them load tested?

I've had a quick search on here but couldn't find anything directly related, also had a sniff on google. any help would be appreciated, thanks

Is there a specific requirement under LOLER Regulations to get winches and Electrics bars load tested annually, they already have a SWL & get inspected annually, is there a regulation under LOLER to get them load tested?

I've had a quick search on here but couldn't find anything directly related, also had a sniff on google. any help would be appreciated, thanks

The nearest I've got is:

If the Competent Person thinks a Proof Load Test necessary it must be done in accordance with the legal overload stated by the manufacturer or within the relevant British Standard.

(I must develop a system where I can backtrack to quote what Chapter & Verse).

To quote a reply to a previouse thread I posted asking about load testing Counter Weight bars

Load testing should be carried out after any significant alteration of a line of suspension of any kind. As long as nothing changes after the test, the line should be checked for normal wear & tear very 12 months - or as we would prefer, continually throughout the normal programme of events on stage. A visual check once a month & a quick note of any comments in a "Record of Use" diary can prevent a full catalogue of problems in the long term. Small little snags get ignored and become serious problems a year or so down the line.

Guides to safe operation, inspection and maintenance can be downloaded [free of charge...] from our website at http://www.hallstage.com/support/counterweights.asp

Charles Haines

Hall Stage.

There is nothing in LOLER requiring a load test apart from bit Librarian28 quotes above

T

I think (as per usual) you just need to apply some common sense to the situation..

Your getting them inspected every year to make sure they meet the requirements of the original specification (which they were at when you had them load tested), if anything has to change, such as a part needed replacing or upgrading, then its worth having them re-tested.

A number of venue's I know/have worked at, get there's inspected annually and load tested every few years, just to be sure.

T

• 2 weeks later...

It's worth having a read of the HSE Gov website http://www.hse.gov.uk/lau/lacs/90-4.htm

Especially Reg 9 (about half way down the document).

Broadly speaking, thorough examination and inspection is required at time of installation, if a major incident occurs to the equipment, including re-structuring, and (here's the vague bit) "periodically during the lifetime of equipment".

It's basically up to your insurance company and your good sense. LOLER inspections should take place at six month periods, regardless of type of equipment, use of, and amount of use over that period.

There is Little to imply that once a Safe Working Load has been ascertained, that it need be re-certified. On this matter I would first read the above link carefully, and talk to your insurer as to what they require.

Archived