Playing back a video file with audio

Munro

For a show next week I need to play a video file, with audio over a projector, using my PC.

The computer is more than capable (core i7) and has two monitors attached. One as a main monitor, the other is a mirror of what is sent to the projector.

I have thought about windows media player, but I want a way that allows me to do it without having a menu at the bottom to play/pause, ect.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Another vote here for SCS. It's not free, but it is great software and in my opinion well worth the investment. Also means you have the software for future use if you ever need to run sound from a PC again.

You can also set it up to respond to MIDI and such like, so the cues could even be trigged from the lighting desk, if it was a theatre style show for example, meaning there is less for you to have to "worry" about.

Yes if you want something simple, that plays almost anything you could just get VLC. Having said that windows media player will play without a menu, I'm a mac user but as far as I remember you have to click a pin icon to unpin the menu. then you hit play the menu goes a second afterwards. It may be different in newer versions. I know Microsoft pride themselves in removing useful features.

Screen Monkey gets my vote too, used it in two school productions.

Its free and will allow you to play the video file on the other display with just one click on the main monitor (some setting up is required)

Another one for VLC over here.

A very simple to use player. And as Iain says, you could set it up to extend desktop, to have the controls on your monitor, and just the video on the projection.

I have known Windows Media Player to be used in shows no problem, it can be full screened with the control menu at the bottom hid. Remembering though if the mouse gets knocked a nice big control bar will come floating up at the bottom, not realy wanted during a show! I think there is an option to stop it floating back up, but I'm not sure what it is.

Archived