Wireless Audio Transmission

ChazHS

Hi everyone,

I've been wondering for a little while, what wireless audio transmission systems are about that are good? Ideally something with balanced outputs, and an integral PSU (plug in on IEC/Powercon etc, no wall warts please!) Ideally something mains powered, rather than a beltpack style arrangement. As it's going to be used with powered speakers power locally wouldn't be an issue.

Cheers.

I've been wondering for a little while, what wireless audio transmission systems are about that are good? Ideally something with balanced outputs, and an integral PSU (plug in on IEC/Powercon etc, no wall warts please!) Ideally something mains powered, rather than a beltpack style arrangement. As it's going to be used with powered speakers power locally wouldn't be an issue.

How far do you need them to work, and do you need multiple channels? Avoiding wall warts will drive up the price significantly since you will probably need something like an IEM transmitter with compatible wireless mic receivers. I do not know if Sennheiser and Shure use the same companding scheme in their IEM systems and mic systems, but that is something to watch out for. Lectrosonics has the T4 IFB transmitter which has a compatibility mode so it can work with any of their RF mic receivers, although it does use a wall wart. They also have the D4 4 channel system. Many of their products also have a compatibility mode to make them work with similar Sennheiser and Shure gear. Either of these are going to be expensive, although the quality is very high, as is the customer support. Their mics are the equal of any on the market. The D4 operates in a specific band that may not be legal in the UK or Europe, but the T4 IFB system is available in a wide range of band splits and is available in a European version.

If you check with Sennheiser or Shure they may be able to answer whether or not they have an IEM transmitter/RF mic receiver combination that is audio and RF compatible.

Mac

The IEM - Receiver solution works, certainly with the Sennheiser units anyway. This was my immediate thought having done it before, however it doesn't meet the IEC/Powercon requirement.

Do you mean IEM transmitter to IEM receiver, or IEM transmitter to wireless mic receiver? The wireless mic receiver should meet the power cable spec, but I'm not sure the companding is compatible. Maybe Andy can answer for Sennheiser.

Mac

Companding isn't the issue people think it is for less than premiere quality. I've often disagreed with John on this one, but sometimes the companding works quite well, and is very gentle. A Trantec IEM transmitter (with wall wart) works rather well into a Sennheiser receiver - in actual fact, it works fine into G1 &2 recievers meant for camera use, as well as the usual rack receiver. The stereo function is lost (even on a Sennheiser G2 IEM unit - so I assume the stereo pilot tone spec must be different). The other way around, using a Sennheiser transmittter into a Trantec receiver works too - although, the companding 'softens' this up a bit - doesn't seem to be a problem the other way around. So if you can live with mono - it's ok. As far as I know nobody makes a stereo mains powered receiver - that I've ever seen.

It's domestic hifi gear, but have a look at http://www.amphony.com/products/wireless-a...er-receiver.htm

It does use wall warts but it is stereo and has good quality, though not as good as they claim. Latency can be an issue.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Also try searching for "audio over IP" a quick google gave me this which seems like what you want.

http://www.bdcast.com/hierarchy/product.ph...71&prod=779

Avoiding wall warts will drive up the price significantly since you will probably need something like an IEM transmitter with compatible wireless mic receivers. I do not know if Sennheiser and Shure use the same companding scheme in their IEM systems and mic systems, but that is something to watch out for.

The new Shure PSM900 IEM transmitter has a mode specifically to allow variable power transmission to a UHF-R receiver. It's a fairly pricey way of doing it, but I expect the results would be good. I haven't tried it myself yet, but I have a couple of PSM900s here at the moment, so I might give it a go.

Archived