Fit up Timelapse videos

micpool

I have started a group on vimeo devoted to timelapse videos of fitups.

http://vimeo.com/groups/theatretimelapse/videos/sort:oldest

Please have a look and if you have any videos or if you feel inspired to make one of your next fit up post it.

Please make sure you have the permission of your producers. (Someone should probably check it in case it shows any Health and Safety violations)

Please only add music if you have the permission of the composer/publisher and your company has the rights to use it on the web

Best Regards

Mic

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So can anyone recommend a cheap compact camera with the requisite timer (or whatever) to produce reasonable results?

I think I'd like to have a play with this. (But not remotely keen enough to spend any serious money.)

:D

So can anyone recommend a cheap compact camera with the requisite timer (or whatever) to produce reasonable results?

I think I'd like to have a play with this. (But not remotely keen enough to spend any serious money.)

When I wanted to do this on an overnight fitup, I patched the show relay camera through to a spare channel on the CCTV system for a constant recording throughout the night and then just speeded it up in FCP. May be an option if you have friendly security people?

Ian

May be an option if you have friendly security people?

Ta for the suggestion, but nope. Not really an option, and anyway I'd prefer to play around with the idea a little bit - which means positioning the camera myself. Ideally a cheapish compact on a tripod or clamp, with an external battery if necessary, but nothing much else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1rq5CAZwz0...feature=related

^^ That's a timelapse recording a friend of mine made of the How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, get-in and focus last October.

Oh Great! :D

A tallescope being moved with someone in the basket with the outriggers not only not in use, but folded within the base.

That's really helpful.

From the O.P. :

(Someone should probably check it in case it shows any Health and Safety violations)

That's a timelapse recording a friend of mine made of the How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, get-in and focus last October.

Oh Great!

A tallescope being moved with someone in the basket with the outriggers not only not in use, but folded within the base.

That's really helpful.

That is so funny...

YOU'RE NICKED !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1rq5CAZwz0...feature=related

^^ That's a timelapse recording a friend of mine made of the How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, get-in and focus last October.

Oh Great! :D

That's really helpful.

And no hard-hats for the pushers...

The best way to do high quality timelapse is buy a cheap 2nd hand compact stills camera on ebay that supports CHDK

This is software you load into a Canon camera and lets you load in scrips to do things like take a photo every 5 seconds. Setting the resolution to the second lowest and you get around 8 hours on a 2gb memory card, but you still get HD video out!

You can easily combine the resulting 100s of stills into a video using something like Quicktime.

When setting up the camera you have to set it to manual focus so it doesn't try to autofocus every 5sec, using up the battery. You also wan't to turn off the screen for the same reason. Also some of the older cameras will only take a max 2gb memory card, but this should be plenty for most gigs. You can always lower the resolution to 640x480 and still get a good quality output, if you want to go longer than 8 hours. Alternativly you can set it to take a photo less frequently. I have found that something between 5-15 sec is a good interval between shots.

I bought a Canon A610 on ebay for about £35. It's a basic 5mp compact, but uses 4x AA batteries, which gives me about 8 hours of timelapse using high capacity Ni-Mh cells. You can of course use a standard 6v PSU, but there is not always reliable mains available at events, especially outdoor ones!

I use a Manfrotto magic arm and super clamp to mount the camera, which ironically costs about twice what the camera cost! A tripod of course works too, but I find the magic arm more flexible as you can usually find somewhere convenient to clamp it to that's out of the way. In theatres, using just the super clamp and a small ball head works well for attaching the camera to the front of the dress circle rail.

Hope this helps,

• 5 weeks later...

Archived