Making something like this....

Munro

The only reason I thought it could be a projector was because of how White the logo was, but then I thought that it could just be a discharge lamp.

The venue we are in and with the tech we have, it will be loads easier to just stick a laptop and a projector out.

As for the blue, do you have any ideas about that, it's looks very much like a discharge.

Moderation: Please - what is the point of further speculation?

We've had all sorts of likely ideas, all which have some merit - so before we get bogged down, can we stop, until somebody who can say with authority what it was, chirps up.

To be honest, we probably should have stopped this earlier.

Paul

Be very wary about making judgements on the absolute colour of lighting based on TV screen grabs.

In a professional TV studio, the cameras are adjusted for the colour temperature of the lamps (usually 3200K) so that looks pure white. It's entirely normal for the image you see on the screen to look much bluer (I.e a higher colour temperature) than what you see if you actually walk into the studio.

Bob

If the venue already had a suitable projector, however, you could use that instead of a custom gobo. Although with a touring show (like the X-factor auditions), you probably won't have a 'spare' projector in every venue.

I wouldn't class the auditions as a true touring show in the theatrical sense. I would expect that you would be spec'ing a lot of the kit they needed, or taking the whole lot with them, so for something such as a special like that they'd probably bring the fixture.

Hi, sorry this isnt directly linked..

With the BGT logo being projected onto the wall, this looks like the light with this gobo (or projector) must be positioned at directly in front of it, as the projection doesnt seem to be spread across the wall like it would if the light was at like a 45deg. angle.

See my rubbish pic below!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STAGE

P

R

O

J

E

C <--LIGHT

T

I

O

N

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hah, sorry that 'diagram' is shockingly bad, but how would they mount/rig a light like that (presumable a ML if it has a glass gobo) on the wall randomly? Or is it actually mounted on the FOH balcony rail and just done very well to look really good?

Sorry about the lack of detail!! :D Cheers!

EDIT: the light is supposed to be the other side of the screen :D opposite the projection

Gobos can be made so that they give a flat image even though they are projected from an angle. Though in this instance I don't think this has been done, the image is noticeably larger at the right hand end.

Glass gobos can be made for most types of fixture, not just movers. In this case it is probably in a generic profile, why have an expensive mover to do a simple task?

In this case it is probably in a generic profile, why have an expensive mover to do a simple task?

I would have thought the same... But I just found out from the Vector Operator on the show, that the Gobo was actually done by a Mac 2000.

Hope that clears things up on the "how it was done" Level.

Thanks,

I was working with 230v.

Well, the EU standard voltage is 230v, but UK voltage is generally closer to 240v. Also, it helps add a little extra power on, when you do calculations. Probably not the best thing to do, but I bet almost everyone on here has used 240v rather than 230v at some point!

Ummm...... by assuming power is 240V rather than 230V you are going to UNDERestimate the current draw rather than OVERestimate it meaning you are more likely to have too many lights on a circuit which could be dangerous.

"it helps to add a little extra power on" would mean you should work with 230V.

Sorry but this topic is being read by students who could take what you said as being sensible.

You could use some festoon type lamp holders.

The lamps look like fancy round type lamps,

They are usually 25w or 40w.

But smaller wattage lamps like 15 or 10w are available

for large displays like this.

The logo on the wall is most likely a projector,

Remember large output projectors are commonly used

in the entertainment industry.

The wall would be wash lit with blue,

And the projector just goes over the blue.

Moderation: Edited to remove quote of entire original post, including photos, which wasn't necessary.

The logo on the wall is most likely a projector,

Remember large output projectors are commonly used

in the entertainment industry.

The wall would be wash lit with blue,

And the projector just goes over the blue.

Did you not see what I posted in post #23?

Thanks,

I was working with 230v.

Well, the EU standard voltage is 230v, but UK voltage is generally closer to 240v. Also, it helps add a little extra power on, when you do calculations. Probably not the best thing to do, but I bet almost everyone on here has used 240v rather than 230v at some point!

Ummm...... by assuming power is 240V rather than 230V you are going to UNDERestimate the current draw rather than OVERestimate it meaning you are more likely to have too many lights on a circuit which could be dangerous.

Sorry but this topic is being read by students who could take what you said as being sensible.

In addition, if you want to do anything creative with them, like chase them, you need at least 3 circuits, presumably tripling you capacity.

Mac

• 2 weeks later...
I was working with 230v.

In addition, if you want to do anything creative with them, like chase them, you need at least 3 circuits, presumably tripling you capacity.

Mac

To clarify, what I meant was that if you work out the power required for each lamp using 240v, you underestimate the current draw and can possibly (theoretically) squeeze another circuit in dependant on circumstances.

Perhaps not the best idea, but as I said before, I suspect a lot of people have used a supply voltage of 240v RMS to justify extra circuits.

Archived