Strand 300 Lighting Desk

congo5

Has anybody sucsesfully swaped the silicon drive for a normal hard drive? Seem to recal there a standard ide interface

There is an IDE interface but the usual type of hard drive will not work without extra wiring/power arrangement as not only does it need 5v, it also needs 12v. The internal power supply on the 300 supplies 24v and is subregulated on the main brain PCB. I don't remember seeing any 12v rails on this card.

There are alternative devices available on a web search in the event of a Disk On Chip failure.

K

Has anybody sucsesfully swaped the silicon drive for a normal hard drive? Seem to recal there a standard ide interface

I've got a quantity of brand new Disk On Chips and I'm happy to sell the odd one. PM me if you need any further info

Dave

• 2 months later...

What are the symptoms of DOC failure? I've got a 300 series refusing to give me any signs of life over here, not even the tiniest flash of the power button when I press it - havn't got as far as checking the PSU out in detail yet (despite using standard MOLEX connector it seems to run 2x 24v rails rather than the 12v/5v that I can replicate easily!), but if anyone has any advice it'd be appreciated. Leaving no stone unturned with this one..

Also DrV, does your stock of chips come loaded with the Strand OS or are they blank slates?

What are the symptoms of DOC failure? I've got a 300 series refusing to give me any signs of life over here, not even the tiniest flash of the power button when I press it - havn't got as far as checking the PSU out in detail yet (despite using standard MOLEX connector it seems to run 2x 24v rails rather than the 12v/5v that I can replicate easily!), but if anyone has any advice it'd be appreciated. Leaving no stone unturned with this one..

Also DrV, does your stock of chips come loaded with the Strand OS or are they blank slates?

The PSU is a single 24volt rail - the cables are doubled up for current. There are several regulators on board for the various supply rails.

I have some DOC chips loaded with StrandOS 2.8.6 and some blanks. They are all brand new. However, your symptoms are nothing like those of a dead DOC. You should check the 24v supply first and the function of the front panel switch but thereafter it gets complicated as the power relay and most of the regulators are controlled by the processor. The PSU is always on - unless you've got a "real" mains switch on the back. PSUs are sometimes repairable but new ones are available - google LPP-100-24.

Hope this helps

Dave

Thanks Dr V, the PSU appears in good order (voltage checks came up good) , so I guess any further fault finding is going to become difficult. Not ruling out the switch being broken yet though!

One last gasp - without having a PCB here to check - I think it just might be possible for the backup battery to kill the whole unit IF it goes short circuit (as NiCads occasionally do). Worth checking that. Put the power on and check the voltage directly on the battery terminals. If it's zero then power off and check across the terminals with an ohmmeter. If that shows a low resistance then it's definitely worth replacing the battery but be VERY careful desoldering it as it's easy to damage the PCB.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I would start by running 220clean from the dos menu (push & hold "Q" while shutting down the console). Make sure your shows are saved. Answer YES to everything and let the utility do it's magic.

If that fails, I have a utility that Strand gave me to resurrect my 300...PM me for it since I can't figure out how to upload it to the forum.

Start by going to archive and saving your console's password onto a floppy disk, you'll need this later when you restore the console. You can also do it from DOS by saving the file STRAND.PAS to a floppy disk. This is super important unless you know someone with the code generator that can re-enable everything that your console had in the first place.

The file contains 2 disks worth of contents & instructions including how to change the boot order of the console. Follow the trouble shooting directions and have 3 additional floppies with the 3 OS files from Strand's website, C3, CN, & HC. Install the OS in the order listed in the release.txt in the C3 file.

After you're done restoring the console software, insert the floppy with the STRAND.PAS file and go to archive and load the file to re-enable all of the features of your strand 300 consoles.

This recovery file includes a special lightweight DOS for the console that's otherwise impossible to install without it. This doesn't work if the DiskOnChip has been damaged or it's utility no longer functions allowing it's drive controller to work allowing the console hardware to see it has a "hard drive"

If you're not getting the power button to light up when pressed, one thing to keep in mind is that the memory battery is a rechargeable(that looses it's charge fairly quickly due to age) and if the console moves around a lot and is stored without being plugged in, it needs to be plugged in for a few hours to have enough of a charge for the bios to have power to actually turn on.

Cheers!

-Chris

• 1 year later...

Helo. .

Sorry for my bad englesh.

I have big problem with Strand 300 series..

I can't find drive C:. I restart my console and boot from drive A (3.5) with DOS. A can't find another drives ?

Can you help me?

Can you send details?

Archived