Quality of Signal Cables??

MrSpeedy

Hey guys,

Just wondering,

I have bought some "livewire" XLR cables and compared to my other cables (Van Damme and Neutrik heads) I cant spot any differences other than the neutrik heads fit in the connectors on equipment slightly better and dont wiggle about.

So is there anything to be gained in using the "better quality" neutrik and van damme as opposed to the "livewire" leads??

Would appreciate any suggestions,

Thanks

Toby

"Better" cables (Neutrik/Van Damme etc) will be more durable and coil easier.

They'll sound exactly the same as anything else, in spite of what hifi magazines will tell you.

For all my mic cables, I build them using Studio Spares own branded parts. Compared to my Neutrik and Van Damme cables there really is no difference! I would even say my own built cables are slightly better in the way they coil and fit the sockets on my gear.

I suppose its personal preference really, a lot of people only use "named" makes, were as I am more than happy (mostly) to use anything as long as it works and does what I want it to do.

Tom

Thanks for the input,

They work,

Just slightly concerned they're wobbly in the socket, and if you apply a slight amount of downward pressure, they unclip by themselves!

Thanks

"I cant spot any differences other than the neutrik heads fit in the connectors on equipment slightly better and dont wiggle about.

So is there anything to be gained in using the "better quality" neutrik and van damme as opposed to the "livewire" leads??"

Just slightly concerned they're wobbly in the socket, and if you apply a slight amount of downward pressure, they unclip by themselves!

I think you have answered your own question

I don't know about "Livewire" mic cables, but I have seen some appallingly bad quality Chinese made audio multocores. They have various brand names and are sold by mail order (online and via magazine ads) and in music shops.

Some had almost no screening, just a few strands of thin copper wire, and some had very poor quality XLR connectors.

You really get what you pay for in this situation.

If you're just an amateur or a hobbyist and it doesn't matter if channels (or the monitors, or half the PA) fails in mid show, then it might not bother you. But there's a good reason why people who earn a living from Sound still spend thousands of pounds on multicore systems.

And the same thing applies to mic cables - the one that fails might be for the star singer's vocal, the CEO's keynote address, the visiting President's speech, the emergency announce/evac mic ...

Thanks Boswell...

Theyre not ultra cheap if you like Stan, 15.75 for 3.

They seem Ok, I will use the livewire cables to go from mixer to eq and then to x-over as thats permanent. ie they stay plugged in.

And I will use my neutrik ones from xover to amps.

Ta guys

I find good connectors are a great benefit, leads stay connected and cables are clamped not retained by the signal wires. Cables are another point, If it is as it should be screened/twisted etc then it will work but some handle better than others and some last better than others.

There is little or nothing to be gained from the use of over spec esoteric cables.

Yes you need to buy carefully so that you can have confidence in your kit.

Archived